« Fooling Barney Fife | Main | Just bite me, OK?! »

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Hospital Shuffle

My Mom is still in the hospital.

The good news is that she has been prodded into taking a few short walks on her new hip, and the test drives have been promising.  And for the most part the medical care has been excellent.  But the communication (i.e. getting the staff to tell my parents what the hell is going on, and what to expect next) has been... how to say this diplomatically... unsatisfactory.

I've tried a few times to impress upon the nursing and social work staff that they need to do a better job of keeping my parents in the loop, since they don't speak Hebrew and don't have a clue about the Israeli medical system.

But so far, I might as well have been talking to the proverbial wall.  With each new surprise, or when something anticipated doesn't materialize, the staff member du jour cocks his/her head like a confused Cocker Spaniel and answers my annoyed inquiries with "But of course that's the way it is, didn't they know that?!"

That there has been no violence so far is a testament to the efficacy of those meditation classes I took during my last trip to India.  I suppose given a choice I prefer that the medical care be good and that the follow-up communication terrible than the other way around.

Anyway, the plan at this point is to release my mom (either today or tomorrow) to a rehab facility where she will spend a couple of weeks getting her strength and confidence back under the careful supervision of physical and occupational therapists.

On a lighter note, last night before I left the hospital I gave my mom my iPod Shuffle which I had filled with almost 300 songs I thought she'd enjoy.  I'd loaded up everything from Glenn Miller to Ella Fitzgerald... Sinatra to Mancini... and nearly the complete Beatles oeuvre.

My thought was that she could have some entertainment over the next couple of days, or even weeks, when things got dull.  Instead she stayed up all night listening to the whole collection!  When I spoke with her this morning she sounded a little loopy.

Now I understand why my dad has to hide the chocolate from her at home.  :-)

Posted by David Bogner on February 23, 2010 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference The Hospital Shuffle:

Comments

What a thoughtful son you are! Saves you from your "tell all" last line. Mothers are great at ignoring the evil things we say when they are still freshly enjoying nachas.

Posted by: rutimizrachi | Feb 23, 2010 3:04:36 PM

Refuah Shelaima!

Posted by: Aharon | Feb 23, 2010 3:09:22 PM

I am glad things are turning ok for your mom despite the communication issue.

Posted by: Ilana-Davita | Feb 23, 2010 5:06:40 PM

I'm not so sure the lack of communication comes only from the language barrier. I think the medical culture here is way different than in the states and doctors and staff here aren't as sensitive to communicating with patients as they are in the states.

BTW, I totally understand your mother listening to every single song on the i-pod. It's like reading every single post of a blog you like--def makes one start searching for the hidden chocolate.

Posted by: Baila | Feb 23, 2010 5:17:48 PM

I believe our dear Queen got rather hooked too. I imagine the wires going through her tiara and hairpiece. So when she's looking happy at all those boring receptions, she's actually boogying on the inside:-0

Posted by: Noa | Feb 23, 2010 8:22:55 PM

I remember your Post on your son's adenoid operation and its subsequent impact on his life. I've used it a few times to encourage young folks whose kids have had apnea issues. ( I have same).

I had a second replacement on Feb. 4th. If you would like you can forward what I am saying to the hospital staff.

Both my surgeries appear to have have been medical successes. For a variety of reasons, my first hospital stay was poor. It may have affected my recuperation.

However, my stay at the Rusk Institute after surgery 1, and my hospital stay and rehab experience this time were absolutely wonderful.

The entire community, physicians, medical support staff, physical and occupational therapists, and other patients made the process of healing helpful, pleasant, and uplifting. Beth Israel hospital in NYC's orthopaedic floor staff, were caring, responsive, informative, and helpful, and that may be part of the reason why I am currently about a week ahead of my recuperation 3 years ago. Tell that to the hospital administrator and the physicians. I believe it really goes a long way.

Refuah shlayma to your mom. Tell her life will be much improved soon.

Posted by: chaim | Feb 24, 2010 5:11:51 PM

Refuah shlayma to your mom. Tell her life will be much improved soon.

Posted by: chaim | Feb 24, 2010 5:11:51 PM

Refua Sheleima to your mom. I was on vacation for a week, so just now catching up on all your posts. Glad she is on the mend.

Posted by: SaraK | Feb 25, 2010 2:22:48 AM

Hope your mom gets great therapists. Mine did and it made all the difference in the world. Good wishes to her.

Posted by: Walter | Feb 28, 2010 7:46:39 PM