« "... a bit of a tumble" | Main | Buzz-Kill »

Friday, February 19, 2010

An update

Thank you to everyone who sent good wishes and kept my mom in their thoughts and prayers.

The surgery took place last night, and by all indications went extremely well.

I was horrified to hear that they kept her awake throughout the operation.  She had an epidural, so while she didn't feel a thing, she could hear the surgical team sawing and hammering away as they bantered pleasantly in Hebrew around her and overhead.  She claims it didn't bother her... but yeef, what a thought!!!

The most important thing is that they managed - and continue to manage - the pain extremely well.  My mom has already been able to sit up and move into a chair... and she is expected to take her first steps tomorrow!

Once they are sure she doesn't have any post-surgical complications (i.e. infection, etc.), they will transfer her to a rehabilitation facility and begin physical therapy... likely as early as Monday or Tuesday.

I'm just kicking myself that I didn't ask the surgeon to put her old hip in a jar for us.  Forget bladder stones, how cool a souvenir would that have been?!  [kidding]

Feel free to continue sending good vibes to 'Chana Bat Feigie'.

Shabbat Shalom everyone.

Posted by David Bogner on February 19, 2010 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference An update:

Comments

I missed "A bit of a tumble"--just went back to read what happened. I am glad the surgery went well and wish your mom a Refuah Shelaima.

Posted by: Bala | Feb 19, 2010 2:29:11 PM

That would be me, Baila. Typo on the "Bala".

Shabbat Shalom.

Posted by: Baila | Feb 19, 2010 2:30:13 PM

My understanding is that a good deal of operations take place under local anesthetic or epidurals nowadays, particularly with older patients. Hearing the surgeons' bantering is fine, as long as you don't hear anyone say "oops" or "now, where DID I put that pen?" :)

refuah sh'leima

Posted by: efrex | Feb 19, 2010 2:44:34 PM

Again, Refuah Shlemah to your mom.

Israel is generally more laid back about allowing patients to remain awake (also they may have needed her to be awake this time, i.e. to ask her to attempt to move something, etc). The first colonoscopy I had was in Israel and they allowed me to remain awake for the whole time. I thought it was pretty cool watching a video of my insides with the doctors! The next two colonoscopies that I had were in the USA and when I asked the doctor to remain awake, they were horrified and refused. Instead they snapped and printed a photo for me, but it's not the same as live :-)

Posted by: Mark | Feb 19, 2010 3:25:42 PM

My Mom broke her left femur about a year and a half ago. Because of her age and health the doctors did an epidural and a local. I can't even imagine what she went through! I just know I hope it never happens to me!

Posted by: Jerri | Feb 19, 2010 3:30:13 PM

its really quite remarkable how quickly they get people up and running these days.
My father-in-law had knee replacement just two weeks ago and he is already home (out of rehab).

Posted by: weese | Feb 19, 2010 3:57:53 PM

A refuah sheleimah to your Mom... I guess if you have to break your hip (G-d forbid), it pays to be in the right place. Please keep us updated!

Posted by: Elisson | Feb 19, 2010 5:06:00 PM

Refuah Shelaimah

As someone who has seen the horrible after-effects of general anesthesia on (both) my elderly parents, it is good that they did the hip surgery with an epidural. My mother, who already had symptoms of dimensia, experienced an incredibly rapid decline after her hip surgery. She has never been the same.

My dad, OBM, was delusional post op after heart surgery. It took a long time for him to get back to normal.

Posted by: moC | Feb 19, 2010 5:55:51 PM

Dave,

Glad to hear your mother is doing well. May she heal up well and be back on her feet soon. :)

Posted by: Karl Newman | Feb 19, 2010 8:30:33 PM

My dad couldn't have a general anaesthetic when he had his knee replaced, so had an epidural. He said the most traumatic part of the surgery was when he saw his leg foot coming towards him as they manipulated his leg to replace the joint. "Haven't seen my toes that close in years" he quipped to the surgeon and had the dear man giggling.

All the best to your mum. Kiwi blessings for a speedy recovery.

Posted by: Noa | Feb 19, 2010 8:33:06 PM

Refuah Shlemah to your mom. She and your father must be remarkable people judging by your wonderful character.

Posted by: Robert J. Avrech | Feb 19, 2010 8:52:57 PM

May your dear mum have a quick and easy recovery. She's definitely got among the finest medical people
anywhere looking after her...as they say "she's in fine hands". All the best to her and your family.

Jack Columbus, Sydney, NS, Canada

Posted by: Jack Columbus | Feb 20, 2010 5:54:24 AM

Praying for your mom that she may have a speedy recovery. I just love your family.

Posted by: Dina | Feb 20, 2010 9:09:05 AM

"I'm just kicking myself that I didn't ask the surgeon to put her old hip in a jar for us. Forget bladder stones, how cool a souvenir would that have been?!"

If she would have put it under her pillow, would the hip fairy give her $10 for it? Would that work for ingrown toenails?
[If you think there's no such thing as a hip fairy, you've clearly never been to Greenwich Village].

Posted by: ADDeRabbi | Feb 20, 2010 7:20:24 PM

I'm not a big fan of general anesthetic -- you have to sign a piece of paper acknoweleging that one of the risks is death.

I'd rather a local, with tishtush (don't know how to say that in English) -- I don't fully recognize, understand, or remember whatever happened.

I wish your mom a full and speady recovery.

Posted by: RivkA | Feb 21, 2010 2:15:37 AM

RivkA, that would be an amnesiac. Makes you forget what happened during surgery. I could have used them for some painfully awful speeches I've made, either for myself or for the audience.

Posted by: Barzilai | Feb 21, 2010 7:26:54 AM

Refuah Shleima to your mother, David.

Posted by: Imshin | Feb 21, 2010 1:59:34 PM

Refua shelaima to Chana bat Feigie!

Posted by: rutimizrachi | Feb 21, 2010 2:01:24 PM

refuah sheleimah- i hope her recovery goes smoothly- my mother is going thru rehab now from hip surgery- took a nasty fall at israeli dance class (it's true)

Posted by: roberti | Feb 22, 2010 4:22:50 PM