« Ouch! | Main | A sure-fire cure for self-pity »

Sunday, January 17, 2010

So this should be an interesting couple of weeks...

Posting from an Internet kiosk in the Bangkok airport.  Am exhausted due to flying on a red-eye flight full of people who were so jazzed about being on vacation that sleep didn't enter into the equation.  Just as I finally drifted off I was tapped on the shoulder by someone to let me know they were about to start Shacharit (morning prayers) in the back of the plane.

My section of the plane was pretty evenly split between young scantily clad Israeli back-packers and over-dressed Israeli Haredim.  I actually had to switch seats with someone to keep a little 20-year-old hottie with a belly shirt, navel ring and body art, from tripping a middle-aged Hassidic couple's circuits.  Don't ask.

The Haredim are apparently part of an organized tour of Thailand.  The funny thing is that they were all given bright green ball caps to wear so they won't lose track of one another during the tour.

I'm guessing that they won't have much trouble spotting each other... although I have to say, the ladies propping the baseball caps on top of their already stacked sheitel (wig) and pill-box combo makes a nifty trifecta.

I'll check in later... must.  find.  coffee.

Posted by David Bogner on January 17, 2010 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference So this should be an interesting couple of weeks...:

Comments

David thanks for giving me a nice funny morning :)

Posted by: Safranit | Jan 17, 2010 11:11:18 AM

Ah, yes, the culture of Jew On A Plane. Always good times. Enjoy the trip!

Posted by: Leah Weiss Caruso | Jan 17, 2010 3:25:36 PM

I remember vividly standing in line for the bathroom with Sophie completely surrounded by 'morning prayer' people.... the smell was overwhelming, but their dedication was something to marvel.

Safe travels. Looking forward to more travel stories and impressions.

Posted by: val | Jan 17, 2010 11:13:01 PM

Hello David. I'd like to ask you if you can please put up a post, asking your readers to vote for Friendship Circle in the Chase Community Giving on Facebook. Chase is gonna give a million bucks to one charity and the only Jewish organization on their top 100 list is Friendship Circle (an organization that helps special needs kids).

You just gotta go to http://tinyurl.com/votefc

it's super fast, super easy and super helpful.

thaaaaaaaaaanks!

Posted by: the sabra | Jan 18, 2010 11:21:50 AM

Oof, Thailand... Say a prayer for Uzi, will you. Come back safely.

Posted by: Lioness | Jan 18, 2010 1:44:09 PM

I am LOL at the mental picture of the sheitel/hat/baseball cap picture. Maybe someone should have designed a pillbox hat with a brim, in green.

Posted by: Marsha, in Paramus at the moment | Jan 19, 2010 7:22:36 PM