« "A child gives birth to a mother" * (... and a father, grandparents, aunts, uncles...) | Main | I got your compensation right here [gestures lewdly] »

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

A random encounter at Limmud

You already know from an earlier post that I spent part of one evening while I was at Limmud washing clothes at the University laundromat.  What I didn't share was a random encounter that occurred there... the kind of encounter that can only happen when Jews get together:

When I walked into the laundromat, there was only one other person in the place... a guy a few years younger than me with a close cropped beard wearing a floppy leather Aussie 'outback' hat.

Me:  Hi, glad to see I'm not the only one doing laundry tonight.

Other Guy [glancing at my name tag]: Hi David, I see you're from Israel.  Where do you live?

Me:  I live in Efrat.

OG:  That's amazing, I'm learning at Yeshivat Hamivtar right next door to Efrat!

Me:  Oh, so that means you live right on the other side of the hill from my bees.  I have a few hives next to Migdal Oz's Cherry Orchards.

OG:  Those are your hives?!  I've walked past them dozens of times and wondered whose they were.  I've been wanting to talk to you for ages.  Just the other day I was looking at a bunch of Rosemary covered with honeybees... I guess they were yours.  I want to find out about beekeeping...

And from there I made a new friend... one of many I met at Limmud.  I'll share more Limmud stories and anecdotes over the coming weeks.

Posted by David Bogner on January 5, 2010 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference A random encounter at Limmud:

Comments

Great story Trep. Looking forward to the others.

Posted by: Ilana-Davita | Jan 5, 2010 5:48:35 PM

Reminds me of something that happened recently at my Shabbos table.

We tend to have many guests for meals, not all of whom know each other. At this particular meal, we had two families who, in the course of getting acquainted, indulged in the ancient pastime of Jewish Geography. During the course of which, the two dads discovered that they were around the same age, and had grown up on the very same block in Mill Basin, Brooklyn, without ever having met before. Pretty freaky.

Anyhoo, hope you're having a great time in merry ol' England, and keep up the updates.

Posted by: psachya | Jan 5, 2010 6:23:00 PM

What a great bee encounter. I hope he does get a hive. I am completely besotted with bees - fascinating wee things, with the hallmark of God written all over them.
Cherry blossom honey. Yum. Ours are on the Pohutukawa at the moment. Do you have a honey extractor, or do you borrow someone elses?

Posted by: Noa | Jan 5, 2010 7:36:44 PM

You beekeepers are doing yeoman's work for Mankind. I salute you, and bid you look after each other. And the bees. Which I sort of hate. ;o/

Posted by: Wry Mouth | Jan 6, 2010 8:39:10 AM

P.S. I WILL NOT REST UNTIL I HAVE A PHOTOGRAPH OF DAVID WEARING A BEARD OF BEES

Posted by: Wry Mouth | Jan 6, 2010 8:40:05 AM

I think I know who that was!

Posted by: Gary | Jan 14, 2010 3:37:27 PM