« And here I thought it was me | Main | I can't believe I'm about to say this, but... »

Wednesday, December 09, 2009

[soon to be] on the road again...

Back in June I mentioned in passing that I'd been invited to speak at the Limmud Conference, a week-long, multi-disciplinary, Jewish learning festival that takes place in the UK each year during the last week of December.

In June, December seemed as far away as the era of flying cars and unisex silver jump suits.  And yet, here we are in December... and Limmud is just a couple of weeks away!  Guess I'd better finish working on my sessions, huh?

This is just a quick post to encourage anyone who will be in the UK then, to register for Limmud... and to sign up for my session!.  Seriously, there are some really heavy hitters scheduled to be speaking, and I'm worried that people are going to be skimming down the session registration lists and be all like, "Rabbi, university president, novelist, scientist, publisher,Nobel Laureate, treppen-what?  Who the heck is that??!"

I'm scheduled to give the following sessions:

Sun Dec. 27th   1100-1210: "Everything you didn't know about Aliyah"
This session should be of interest to anyone with even a fleeting interest in moving to Israel.  Basically I'm giving you a chance to learn from my mistakes.  :-)

Tue Dec. 29th   1530-1640:  "So you want to be a Jewish Blogger"
The dos and don'ts of blogging (again, a chance to learn from my mistakes), as well as a discussion of how to use social media to advocate for Israel and Jewish causes.

Tue Dec. 29th   1830-1940:  "Settlers & Settlements 101"
This is the introductory session where the ground rules, vocabulary and historical facts will be laid out in preparation for the second session.  I'm expecting a somewhat hostile crowd, so a friendly face or two would be nice.  :-)

Wed Dec. 30th  0930-1040:  "Settlers & Settlements 202"
This is where (hopefully) an intelligent discussion of the topic will take place.  This one should be a doozy (in spite of the groundwork I hope to lay at the 101 session).  And to be clear, I expect to learn as much (or more) from these sessions as those who will attend.

I'm sure I'll be attending many of the other sessions given throughout the week as well, but I hope to do a little local touring / sight-seeing as well.  For instance, I've always wanted to visit Stratford upon Avon.  Limmud is being held this year at Warwick University, which is quite close (15 miles, or so I'm told).

I've only been to England a couple of times (short stop-overs on the way to and from the US)... and have never been outside of London.  So if any of my UK readers have suggestions of things to do and see while in the West Midlands/Coventry area and London, please feel free to share.

Posted by David Bogner on December 9, 2009 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference [soon to be] on the road again...:

Comments

After the conference, will you have anything that can be posted about your subject areas? They all sound like things I'd like to hear more about.

Posted by: JDMDad | Dec 9, 2009 4:54:45 PM

Good luck!Looking forward to your comments after the event. The weather in England can be quite dreary in late Dec.

Posted by: ED | Dec 9, 2009 5:38:34 PM

The university is set in some quite pretty countryside. Take some time to visit Warwick if you can - there are lots of tudor buildings there and a menacing castle, complete with dungeons. Warwickshire is pretty average as far as scenery goes, so I hope you aren't too disappointed.

Posted by: Noa | Dec 9, 2009 7:54:40 PM

Limmud is fun--although I was last there in 1998 and it sounds like it's come a ways since then. Bring some Cadbury Dairy Milk with Caramel home for Zahava, and put it in the fridge before you eat it. Much better that way.

Posted by: uberimma | Dec 9, 2009 9:18:39 PM

I'd love to attend them all. Will your faithful readers get a chance to have an idea of what you will have shared with the Brits? (no insult intended I lived in the UK for 2 years and loved it).

Posted by: Ilana-Davita | Dec 9, 2009 10:26:53 PM

Have a safe trip and enjoy Limmud. I am sure you will wow them and am only jealous that, having made aliyah, I'll miss out on the chance to see you in action! It would be great to hear/read what you do deliver.

Posted by: Ellis | Dec 9, 2009 11:45:51 PM

I've been going to Limmud for 10 years and most people never make it off-campus. There's simply too much to do at the conference. I would suggest that you schedule your sightseeing time for before or after.

Also, people don't need to sign up for sessions at Limmud - they simply go. That's part of the charm - you can decide what to attend as you go along. With 2,500+ participants, there are bound to be some who have an interest in the various subjects you're presenting. Good luck!

Posted by: Karen | Dec 10, 2009 1:53:35 AM

Enjoy and take your drinking boots with you. I've heard that the sessions in the bar can go on quite late. I'll tell my son to look out for you; he is one of the helpers working with the Young People there this year but he might make it to the bar some time!

Posted by: Superpharm | Dec 13, 2009 3:42:47 PM

If you do get time to do a bit of visiting AND you have access to a car - try a bit of the Cotswolds - Stow on the Wold, Chipping Camden, Burton on the Water (lots of little foot bridges), Broadway - all really lovely idilic - stereotypical English Chocolate Box type villages - well worth a visit if you can make it!

Posted by: Kath Vardi | Dec 14, 2009 8:11:32 PM