« I feel like a need a shower | Main | I am Spartacus! »

Thursday, November 19, 2009

I think I need to sit down...

In among the usual flotsam and jetsam in my inbox this morning was a newsletter from my alma mater's alumni association with all kinds of chatty news about my former classmates.  There were promotions, births, job changes, marriages of children, you name it... my classmates have been a busy and productive lot.

But one particular announcement caught my eye... a happy snippet about the birth of a grandchild to someone my age.  People my age aren't grandparents, are they?

What's next, retirement announcements and death notices?!

I think I need to un-subscribe from that particular mailing list.

Posted by David Bogner on November 19, 2009 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference I think I need to sit down...:

Comments

:-)

It's easy to understand... let's just say that a generation is 20 years. 20 + 20 = 40. So the 40 year old has a 20 year old who got married at 19 and has a baby at 20. This makes the 40 year old a grandparent. Pretty simple when you look at the numbers. In some countries you will find 32 year old grandparents! So don't let this get you down. :-).

Posted by: Tehillah | Nov 19, 2009 2:28:49 PM

My equivalent is finding out big-time professional athletes are younger than me. Alex Rodriguez is younger and Derek Jeter a couple months older. Umm, what have I done with my life again?

Benji

Posted by: What War Zone??? | Nov 19, 2009 4:36:34 PM

It's just wrong. Just because my friend got married when she was 20 (really, what was she THINKING?) and then married off her 20 year old daughter, subsequently making her a grandparent when she was, like, 43.

It's wrong and should be illegal. People shouldn't allowed to be grandparents until they're REALLY old, like my grandparents were.

(My oma was 44 when my big brother was born).

Posted by: Baila | Nov 19, 2009 4:42:05 PM

That's still better than finding out about the bar mitzvahs and weddings of your friends' kids, and you aren't even married yet.

Posted by: Anonymous | Nov 19, 2009 5:48:54 PM

In Kentucky, you could be a grandparent at 28... :-) Me? I didn't start having kids until I was 34. I'm 48 now and have a 7 mo old son (our last)!

Posted by: ProphetJoe | Nov 19, 2009 6:28:57 PM

Death notices are unfortunately not rare things.

Posted by: Ilana-Davita | Nov 19, 2009 7:53:42 PM

Don't unsubscribe. Embrace it.

Posted by: Sarabeth | Nov 19, 2009 9:01:43 PM

Are we giving out prizes here? My wife was forty two when our first grandchild was born, and it took time to get used to the idea. The first Purim after that, a box came to our house addressed to Bubby and Zeidy (Barzilai). I was upset. Why did they put my address on a box that obviously was meant for my parents??? Fourteen grandchildren later, we're getting used to the idea.

Posted by: Barzilai | Nov 19, 2009 9:59:53 PM

Age tends to creep, while youth races.
I dread being invited to my cousin's kid's graduation.
No, not high school. College. Master's degree.

Posted by: At The Back of the Hill | Nov 20, 2009 12:02:50 AM

Yup, my best friend became a grandparent before I even got married! Oh, and I lost two school friends to cancer at 39. That pulls up your mortality BIGTIME!

Posted by: Noa | Nov 20, 2009 6:04:46 AM

Pray that all your kids marry and have kids. Pray for the health to enjoy it all.

zeh ha'ikar

Posted by: Batya from Shiloh | Nov 20, 2009 1:48:27 PM

Isn't Grandma Sarah Palin younger than you?

I'm just sayin' is all....

Posted by: Drew | Nov 22, 2009 2:52:49 AM

Great thing about being a (relatively!) young grandparent? Being mistaken for the kid's PARENT! Nothing boosts the ego than "What?! You're her GRANDMOTHER????

Posted by: Marsha in Englewood | Nov 22, 2009 7:30:44 AM

A friend of mine who is my age just became a grandmother. My sister, only a few years younger than me, is having her first child.

I'm all sorts of confused about how "old" I am.

Posted by: Alissa | Nov 23, 2009 7:17:05 PM