« Treppenwitz in Hebrew! Who knew?! | Main | מועדים לשמחה/Moadim L'Simcha! »

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

14 Years Ago Today….

A guest post by Zahava Bogner

…I met a bundle of energy that burst into the world with the speed and urgency of a run-away freight train!

His arrival was celebrated in a traditional manner – a שלום זכור (shalom zachor) – by dear friends and close neighbors. While traditional in nature, this שלום זכור was a bit extraordinary! You see, the good folks who managed to pull it off had only 20-minutes to pull it together!

Born so close to שבת (Shabbat) that his father 1) only got a perfunctory glance; and 2) almost didn’t make it home in time, Gili quickly established himself as the “one with unlimited energy!” in our newly expanded family.

14 years later, he still takes our breath away!

Hey kid?! Could ya slow it down for just a sec? We’d like to wish you a very happy and healthy birthday! May the year ahead grant you health, happiness, and many reasons to celebrate!

(Oh! And may it also grant us the energy to keep up with you!)

Love,

אמא ואבא
(Ima and Abba)!

Posted by David Bogner on October 7, 2009 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference 14 Years Ago Today….:

Comments

Happy birthday Gili!!!! How nice that you arranged a week-long vacation in his honor! Are you guys heading our way for hakafot shniyot?

Posted by: Rachel | Oct 7, 2009 6:35:58 PM

Happy Birthday Gili...wow 14!
where does the time go.

Posted by: weese | Oct 7, 2009 7:41:56 PM

I vividly remember receiving the call announcing his arrival... as I was up in P-town. My first nephew! Happy Birthday, Gili!

Posted by: Val | Oct 7, 2009 8:20:43 PM

Mazal Tov! We also have a chol hamoed baby and it just makes this holiday all the more sweeter.

Posted by: Baila | Oct 7, 2009 8:37:31 PM

Bon anniversaire Gilad!

Posted by: Ilana-Davita | Oct 7, 2009 8:49:45 PM

Happy Birthday to Gili!
And Zahava- take a deep breath. Your little speed demon is probably going to shoot up six inches or more over the next year. By his 15th birthday, he'll be bigger than you are, speak in a deep rumbly voice, and have facial hair.
Signed,
Raizy (mother of a tall, deep-voiced, facially hairy 15 year old)

Posted by: Raizy | Oct 7, 2009 11:35:55 PM

Happy Birthday, Gili.

Posted by: sobersubmrnr | Oct 8, 2009 2:10:14 AM

Mazal tov!

Posted by: What War Zone??? | Oct 8, 2009 8:02:06 AM

Rachel: Yes, some kids have all the luck! And yes, we hope to see you at hafakot hashniyot!

weese: ain't it the truth?!

val: do you remember my not wanting to take him to the brit?! you were so funny when i started freaking out about what they were going to do to my baby....

baila: always was my favorite chag! this just cinched it!

ilana-davita: merci beaucoup!

raizy: he's already taller than me (i am only 5'1.5" so it isn't really that big a challenge)...

sobersubmrnr: will pass on your good wishes to the boy

wwz: thanks!

Posted by: zahava | Oct 8, 2009 9:06:01 AM

Wow, happy birthday! Erev Shabbos chol hamoed Sukkos is also my son's birthday. My sukkah-baby turned 4 this week. There were about 3 1/2 hours left to pull together the Shalom Zachar which I thought was tight - your timing must have been super-whirlwind. In the sukkah, no less, which we don't have living in an apartment, so thankfully it was at my parents' sukkah. Can't imagine how you guys pulled it together that fast! I remember that feeling when my husband said, Mazel tov, I'll talk to you after Shabbos, GOTTA GO...! As #2 of four kids, he is certainly still keeping us on our toes! This post makes me feel like I'll blink and he'll go from being 4 to being 14!

Posted by: RaggedyMom | Oct 8, 2009 9:32:20 AM

Wow, 14 ! Yom Houleded same'ach leGili.

(Zahava, thanks for this post, i was starting to wonder/ worry what happens, with no posts for a week...)

Posted by: Jany | Oct 8, 2009 11:30:19 AM

Yom huledet sameach, Gilad! Ad meah v'esrim v'yom!

(Why the extra day? Ask me!)

Posted by: Elisson | Oct 8, 2009 6:08:26 PM

Wow - what a rush he arrived to, maybe that is why he has been rushing around ever since? Happy Birthday Gilad!

Posted by: Noa | Oct 8, 2009 7:28:22 PM

OK, I'll bite.

David Bogner
Efrat, Israel

www.treppenwitz.com

"Laying the groundwork for an insanity defense since 1961"

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 6:08 PM, wrote:

Posted by: David Bogner | Oct 8, 2009 10:19:27 PM

RaggedyMom: We were also doing the "apartment living thing" -- but it was a 3-building co-op and we had a giant community sukkah in the courtyard. It was there our good friends put together the shalom zachor. We had asked our good friend Leora P. to care for our then-20-month-old Ariella if the baby didn't manage to arrive before Shabbat..... Gili was born at 4:07 pm -- shabbat came in at 4:20 pm -- so, yes! it was ridiculously tight. As was planning the brit! I got out of the hospital erev tov (Sunday morning) which meant that planning the Friday morning brit began only Wednesday morning!

And much as I hate to say it... you are right! The next 10 years can easily evaporate in the blink of an eye....

Jany: We've been enjoying some family time over chol hamoed. Sorry to cause worry!

Elisson: Meah v'esrim v'od yom?! Ok... why the day?

Noa: He seems to generate energy as opposed to responding to it....

Posted by: zahava | Oct 9, 2009 9:42:59 AM

The extra day is because G-d forbid you should pass away on your birthday...

Posted by: Elisson | Oct 9, 2009 10:10:00 PM

Love this description!

I believe children should celebrate their moms on their birthdays!!

Posted by: Rivka with a capital A | Oct 10, 2009 10:48:12 PM

Hey, wasn't that the kid rockin' on stage with some "names" just a few months ago? Where did the year go??? In five or ten minutes, he'll be driving...

Posted by: rutimizrachi | Oct 11, 2009 7:20:32 AM