« A piece of cake | Main | You Can Not Make This Stuff Up…. »

Friday, September 18, 2009

Everything happens for a reason

I woke up his morning expecting to have a leisurely erev Rosh Hashanah (or as leisurely as any pre-holiday can be).  I didn't have to be at work, and the kids were all off from school, so it should have been the first really slow paced morning around here in weeks.

Then I checked my email.

It turns out one of my foreign clients needed a signed form from me to clear a shipment from customs (his clerk had lost the one I'd sent and hadn't saved the email.  Normally this wouldn't be so bad since I usually take copies of most of my current files home with me.  But this time I hadn't.

My office is an hour from home.  Zahava wasn't pleased.

I ran out to do some quick grocery shopping for her and then jumped into the car heading south towards Beer Sheva.

Almost immediately I picked up a car full of soldiers who had been released unexpectedly for the holiday and needed to get home to Beer Sheva, Dimona and other points south.  I don't know what they'd done to suddenly have earned a pass for the weekend, but I felt good being able to help them surprise their families.

Once I got to the office I found several other small emergencies that needed to be dealt with and was able to deal with the emails and phone calls in short order.

As I was locking up my office my cell phone rang.  It was my barber.  Apparently I had been abroad the last time I'd needed a haircut and he was calling to make sure I was OK... and to wish me a happy new year, of course.

When I told him I was in Beer Sheva unexpectedly and that I was actually long overdue for a haircut he said, "So come on over... My son and I were just going to close the shop but I'll wait for you."  When I pulled up he was standing in the doorway and welcomed me like royalty.

On the way home I couldn't help marvelling at my good fortune to live in a country where army commanders sometimes look for an excuse to send a few extra soldiers home for Rosh Hashanah, and where barbers call to wish their customers a happy new year and offer to keep the shop open a little late so you'll look presentable in shul.

I know there are lots of pretty greetings floating around this time of year, but I like the one Zahava made for her graphic design company (Zatar Creative).

Here's wishing all of you a new year filled with everything you need... and most of what you want!

Posted by David Bogner on September 18, 2009 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Everything happens for a reason:

Comments

Lovely artwork! I just tried to google "Zatar Creative" to see if Zahava has a website, and came up with nothing. Did I miss something? I would have thought a website to be a must for a freelance designer.
Shana tova!

Posted by: rina | Sep 18, 2009 4:35:41 PM

Great design Zahava! Just rushing to make my apple and custard cake and a second honey cake for Rosh Hashana guests tomorrow.

Chag Sameach and Shana Tovah u Metuka

Posted by: Noa | Sep 18, 2009 10:56:58 PM

It's funny that Zatar is in English letters and Creative is in Hebrew letters.

K'siva v'chasima tova to all!

Posted by: Michael Kopinsky | Sep 19, 2009 12:17:58 AM

Here's wishing you and your loved ones a year of health, peace, happiness, prosperity and much nachas.

Posted by: G6 | Sep 19, 2009 1:09:09 AM

Shana Tovah.

Posted by: Jack | Sep 19, 2009 1:15:30 AM

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your taking care of soldiers. I have my boy here for Rosh haShana, and it's such a wonderful feeling to know that there are people who care about him and his friends.

May you and your family have a blessed, happy and healthy New Year.

Posted by: Lila | Sep 20, 2009 4:07:10 PM

rina: yes, it would seem that we are a classic case of "the shoe-maker's kids".... even without a site, though, wonderful work opportunities manage to find us (pftu, pftu, pftu)!

noa: thanks! your recipe sounds divine! do you share?

michael: we have two versions of the logo -- one is all English, and this one we use primarily for Israeli-based clients. our name is comprised of the three initials of the three founding designers: zahava, tova and rivka. we haven't done the "zatar" in Hebrew for a few reasons, one of which is that the abbreviation doesn't work in Hebrew (זעתר is the Hebrew spelling -- zayin-ayin-taf-reish; our names begin with ז,ט,ר zayin-tet-reish, and there is no ayin).

Posted by: zahava | Sep 21, 2009 10:35:57 AM

Don't we just loooooove this country? I still can't get over it!

Shana Tova to you and to your family!

MWW

Posted by: Miss Worldwide | Sep 22, 2009 8:17:51 PM

G'mar Chatima Tova!

David Bogner
Efrat, Israel

www.treppenwitz.com

"Laying the groundwork for an insanity defense since 1961"

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 8:17 PM, wrote:

Posted by: David Bogner | Sep 22, 2009 8:31:32 PM

Shanah tovah to you and yours! Beautiful graphic, Zahava.

David, thanks for making this year a bit funnier, and for reinforcing our goal to visit Israel asap - this year, we hope!

Posted by: Tanya | Sep 23, 2009 5:28:32 PM