« Here's your big chance to be a giver! | Main | Color me less than surprised »

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The right soundtrack can enhance the experience

While wandering around five Indian cities in ten days, I kept my trusty iPod shuffle with me; cued up to the entire Beatles collection... with a heavy emphasis on the George Harrison oeuvre from the point in his career where he became heavily influenced by the religion and culture of the Sub-Continent.

For good measure I also had John Lennon's 'Across the Universe' in heavy rotation (even though he wrote it after having become disenchanted with his Indian experiences).

I still find most real Indian music interesting but unapproachable.  But for some reason, hearing music written by westerners who were heavily under the influence of eastern religion and culture offered an amazing new level to the way I experienced India.

Highly recommended.

Posted by David Bogner on August 19, 2009 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference The right soundtrack can enhance the experience:

Comments

i always like reading your travelogues.. kind of bill bryson meets " The Joint". but, for political correctness, we now refer to these individuals living in India as "Native Sub-continentals"

Posted by: shabtai | Aug 19, 2009 12:32:41 AM

Posted by: shabtai | Aug 19, 2009 12:32:42 AM

Aww c'mon now, you love Daler Mehndi Tunak Tunak Tun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bAN7Ts0xBo

;)

Posted by: Jack | Aug 19, 2009 9:20:59 AM

shabtai... thanks for the tip.

Jack ... If I had been in the Punjab region that would have enhanced the experience greatly. :-)

Posted by: treppenwitz | Aug 19, 2009 9:51:10 AM

I picked up the greatest album of Ravi Shankar's classical Indian music... at the old Raga and Bone Shoppe.

Posted by: Elisson | Aug 20, 2009 1:19:47 AM

I still find most real Indian music interesting but unapproachable.
Exactly how I feel.

Posted by: Ilana-Davita | Aug 20, 2009 10:56:47 PM

Totally off-topic... just noticed the nefesh b'nefesh ad in the sidebar. Are you going to lecture or speak again this year?

Faintly remember the many complaints of last year and wonder whether the complainers have managed to come up with an alternative J-Blogger camp in the meantime... it's not hard to do at all, just someone has to step up and make a start (and maybe connect a bit more with the Israeli-Israeli blogging community, ahem).

Posted by: a. | Aug 20, 2009 11:05:06 PM

I came home CRAVING more Indian food. I'm sorry you don't really get to experience that.

Posted by: Imshin | Aug 21, 2009 4:20:35 PM