« I'm guessing that was the beer talking | Main | I know I've probably blathered on about this before, but... »

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Just 18 walking days left until the start of the 'fressing' season

The holidays are nearly here (at least for the Jewish folks out there) and you know what that means:  Eating.

Oh sure, we have a couple of fast days tossed in there to keep us from actually exploding from all the rich holiday meals we consume... but the overall impact of the Rosh Hashanah-thru-Sukkot eating season on our waistlines can be, erm, dramatic.  And then, of course, comes Sufganiyot (Hannukah) season. [sigh]

So this is it, folks.  If you don't start walking now, you'll never get out ahead of those calories!  While some of us are preparing ourselves spiritually for the holidays, this challenge should help get us physically ready as well.

If you aren't yet signed up for the 'Walker Tracker' site, click here to get registered (it's free!)!

If you don't yet have a pedometer (or you lost, washed, ate... your last one), go to any sporting goods store and pick out one that fits your budget and your needs.  They aren't expensive and the presence of this tiny device in your pocket or clipped to your belt will literally change your life!

If you have questions about what model to buy, you can email me directly or leave a comment on this post.

Once you are signed up for the Walker Tracker site, you can join the 18 day walking challenge leading up to the holidays by clicking here

Posted by David Bogner on August 30, 2009 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Just 18 walking days left until the start of the 'fressing' season:

Comments

I have joined, yet again. I guess I am a little crazy but it is good for my body - or so I like to think.

Posted by: Ilana-Davita | Aug 30, 2009 6:16:43 PM

Thanks for posting another challenge. We are still having shocking weather down here, but I'm DETERMINED TO GET OUT!

Posted by: Noa | Aug 30, 2009 9:45:02 PM

Both of you drank?

Who drove???

Posted by: Rivka with a capital A | Aug 31, 2009 5:28:09 PM

oops, that was meant for the previous post...

Posted by: Rivka with a capital A | Aug 31, 2009 5:28:47 PM

I was loving the last pedometer contest (it made me WANT to take out the trash!!)...but my pedometer that I ordered from a sporting goods store in Petach Tikvah lasted only a month. I paid around 125 shekel for it. Any suggestions of what to buy and from where (only in Israel) that will have a little more value to it??

Posted by: Katie | Sep 1, 2009 8:08:30 PM

What type of pedometer did you get Katie?

I've got an Omron HJ152 which is nice - i got it as a 'gift' from my gym at some point when i renewed membership or bought something a few years ago. The HJ112/113 model is also supposed to be good. I saw both of them on sale in MegaSport which i think is found all over the country. (I did try a few other places in Karmiel and didn't see anything that looked good - just junky type models)

From what i've read on walkertracker you can't seem to go wrong with the Omron brand and at least in my Megasport they were running 175NIS or less (can't recall which model was which price)

shoshana

Posted by: shoshana | Sep 2, 2009 10:41:20 AM

You'd better eat up no. At the 2nd Jewish Bloggers Convention they're serving dairy

Where's the BEEF???

the 50 shekel entrance fee isn't a fortune, but it's insulting that they switched the menu to dairy.

Last year's convention highlight was the outstanding meat buffet.

What a shondah!

Posted by: bravo | Sep 2, 2009 11:09:16 AM

I've finally bought a pedometer and signed up at the walk tracker site. I'll sit out, er, walk out this challenge. I'll be awalkin' in the next challenge.

Posted by: QuietusLeo | Sep 6, 2009 6:53:47 PM