« I gotta get that closet cleaned out one of these days | Main | Just 18 walking days left until the start of the 'fressing' season »

Thursday, August 27, 2009

I'm guessing that was the beer talking

Zahava and I went to the Beer Festival in Jerusalem this evening and had a great time.  A few dozen beer manufacturers from around the world were there with their wares on tap for the public to enjoy (for a fee, of course), and there were a bunch of local eateries with food concessions as well.

I loved being able to drink a few beers... then grab a kosher steak sandwich and some kosher Asian fusion stir fry... and then go back for more beer.  it was the kind of casual, effortless eating and drinking I hadn't enjoyed since my pre-kosher days.

BTW, the best beer I had (although I didn't try them all, by any means), was the Dancing Camel India Pale Ale.  We caught up with the owner (who made aliyah on the same flight as we did) and complimented him again on his success.

At one point we ran into our friend and fellow blogger, Benji Lovitt of What War Zone?  Benji and I spent some time discussing the whole Swedish blood libel thing; trying to come up with a workable solution to the problem.  For anyone who has ever watched people who've been drinking try to come up with a workable solution to any problem harder than the rebus puzzles inside beer caps, your expectations are probably justifiably low.

My contribution to the discussion which was announced to the group of gathered friends:  "I've decided that if a beautiful Swedish woman ever throws herself at me and tries to lure me into an affair... I'm just gonna say no.  That's right, as a result of this ugly blood libel I'm officially boycotting beautiful Swedish women!".

Zahava took a big gulp of her beer, rolled her eyes at our small group of friends and said in a sarcastic monotone, "No, no girls, hands off... I saw him first".

I'm guessing that was the beer talking.

Posted by David Bogner on August 27, 2009 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference I'm guessing that was the beer talking:

Comments

B"H

Like gag me with a spoon. Send the booze festival back to Tel-Aviv.

How do we handle the organ libel?

Stop worrying what the goyim think, and focus on what HaShem wants from us.

Some of you had better get to a CoDA Meeting,...and fast.

Posted by: Ben-Yehudah | Aug 27, 2009 11:55:52 PM

Now that's funny! You and Benji trying to resolve the Swedish thing after a couple of beers. Hmmm. Actually, maybe the powers that be should try your method.

Posted by: Baila | Aug 28, 2009 12:49:41 AM

That Zahava... truly a 'lucky' woman! :)

Posted by: Val | Aug 28, 2009 6:39:05 AM

Maybe it's as good as resolving an unfair accusation of racism over a few beers?

Posted by: Mark | Aug 28, 2009 6:45:34 AM

I like Zahava better every time you blog her. (Hmmmm... interesting new lashon we've all developed.) Smart, quick lady. That kind of dry-as-dust retort only comes to me the morning after.

Posted by: rutimizrachi | Aug 28, 2009 8:51:09 AM

You were in the neighborhood and didn't call? :-(

Posted by: Marsha, you know where | Aug 28, 2009 9:45:11 AM

Zahava, you are a crease!!!

Posted by: Noa | Aug 28, 2009 10:16:44 AM

A good beer summit makes everything better- or so I have heard. ;)

Posted by: Jack | Aug 28, 2009 10:35:43 AM

Was there any Swedish beer? Or is it easier to boycott Swedish women than Swedish beer?
:-)

Posted by: Ilana-Davita | Aug 28, 2009 2:55:29 PM

The general approach to the blood libel problem is explained by using the Swedish/Organ libel as an example:

1. Confess. Always confess.

2. Explain we don't sell the organs, but give them away free as part of our socialized medicine.

3. Point out that Palestinians are equally eligible to receive these organs.

4. Further point out that Swedish reporters are reputed to have excellent organs and we have a team on the way...

Posted by: Fred | Aug 28, 2009 3:43:15 PM

We're not the first to suffer from an organ libel. The "Irish Curse," I think, is worse. Though technically it may not be libelous.

Posted by: Barzilai | Aug 28, 2009 6:11:20 PM

Heh heh. You made that line up on the spot? I was sure you must have used it before. Funny!

Benji

Posted by: What War Zone??? | Aug 29, 2009 9:40:17 AM

Ben-Yehudah ... I never quite understand this puritanical streak that some segments of the dati community express quite thoughtlessly about drinking. Like anything else potentially dangerous (i.e. driving, flying, crossing the street), drinking alcohol should be done carefully and mindful of the potential risks. However, it can be enjoyable and can add a great deal to food and social gatherings. To suggest that it is the exclusive realm of the secular Tel Avivis is both narrow-minded and wrong. The sages discuss in detail how wine and 'Chamar Medina' (beer) can and should be enjoyed as part of a full and mitzvah-oriented life. Your comment makes you sound like a Mormon or Methodist... not a Jew.

Baila... I wish...

Val ... It's like she wins lotto each and every day! :-)

Mark... if it was, in fact, an unfair accusation.

rutimizrachi ... You two have so much in common. :-)

Marsha, you know where ... Sorry, it was a last minute thing and we aren't used to having you close enough to call.

Noa... I, for one, need a translation for this term. :-)

Jack... I'm guessing you have more than a passing familiarity with this sort of thing. :-)

Ilana-Davita ... Not that I saw. But I would gladly have boycotted it. :-)

Fred ... All they will ever hear or remember is step 1.

Barzilai... Not familiar with that one.

What War Zone???... Once in a while I can come up with a zinger on the spot (and not on the stairs later).

Posted by: treppenwitz | Aug 30, 2009 2:34:57 PM

JEWISH WHITE MALE SEEKING - one liver, clean, low mileage (moslem preferred).

3 years into the dancing camel & I'm feeling like it's time for some bodywork.

Great to see you guys last week. Glad you had fun!

David

Posted by: dancing camel | Aug 30, 2009 3:16:56 PM

- I saw Benji when they finally let us in and was going to introduce myself, but then I lost him. And when I saw him later, he was talking to a girl, and I never interrupt those conversations.
- I never saw you. Disappointing, because I *know* my husband and I would have loved to have joined the "how to handle" conversation. Although probably better for you to not have some strange chick in a tichel screaching, "TREPPENWITZ!" ;)
- Dancing Camel's Diablo something. Or something Diablo. It was a little better last year, but it's still my favourite. Spicy!
- Had fun, but liked the venue last year better. Last year felt funky urban, this year felt like, um, Lallapabooza.
- I love that Dati people can go to a beer fest, drink all the beer - types, all the beer *types* - and eat the food (oh yeah, no veggie options this year? All the food was meaty, but there was an ice cream stand? Cruel.). Why shouldn't observant people be able to enjoy this stuff, too?!
- I wish there was a Swedish beer. I would have asked them what size drink I could get for a kidney.

Posted by: Alissa | Aug 30, 2009 3:34:01 PM

Alissa: I also loved the Diablo from Dancing Camel! Pleasantly spicy and fun! :-)

Posted by: zahava | Aug 30, 2009 8:40:19 PM

I suppose that is a fair assumption.

Posted by: Jack | Aug 31, 2009 12:12:26 AM

You both drank?

Who drove?

Posted by: Rivka with a capital A | Aug 31, 2009 5:50:22 PM

My solution is to boycott Swedish Men(A Swedish woman official did try to apologize). Just as satisfying,and much less painful to implement.

Posted by: ED | Aug 31, 2009 10:21:20 PM

My faves are Labatt Blue (Canada) and Pilsner Urquell (Czech)

Posted by: Bob Miller | Aug 31, 2009 11:39:54 PM

RivkA: A more accurate description would be that David tasted and I drank....

FWIW, we are all too well versed with the dangers of drinking and driving -- I was a kid on the NCSY Shabbaton in February 1981 during which a walking group was hit by a drunk driver.... I lost three good friends that night. As a result, I am positively manic about having a designated driver (as is David).

You were quite right to pose the question. I'd hate to think that someone might act irresponsibly as a result of hearing about our evening out!

I hope that none of the readers here are ever personally touched by the horrors of a driver under the influence! There are no do-overs in these situations -- the damage can be, quite literally, deadly. An automobile can quickly go from convenience to weapon in the hands of an irresponsible person.

For any occasion we attend together where alcohol is served we determine who will be driving home long before we arrive.

Posted by: zahava | Sep 6, 2009 1:54:23 PM

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Margaret