« Just 18 walking days left until the start of the 'fressing' season | Main | An observation. Nothing more and nothing less. »

Monday, August 31, 2009

I know I've probably blathered on about this before, but...

Some of you earthy crunchy people have added the following little addendum to the end of all of your emails:

P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. Thank you.

I have a request to make:  Please consider removing it.

Seriously... pretty much every time I have to print out an email, that little touchy-feely tag you've added to your email template forces two pages print rather than just one!

I'm guessing that there must be over a thousand blank sheets of paper in the 'Recycling Bin' next to our shared printer at work... blank, that is, except for that heart-warming, ecologically responsible sentiment printed along the top of each otherwise pristine page.  I usually grab a few sheets from this overflowing bin for doodling and taking notes when I head out to a meeting.  But there is only so much doodling a person can do!  The rest of it gets taken away and ostensibly recycled... but I have my doubts.

Talk to the IT manager in your office and have them remove that cheery green blight on the office environment.  Not only does it waste paper (instead of saving it), but since it is also in color, pages that would otherwise be printed in black & white now require a spritz of whatever toner colors combine to make that special shade of 'tree-hugger green'.

That's all for today.

Posted by David Bogner on August 31, 2009 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference I know I've probably blathered on about this before, but...:

Comments

My emails all end with:

"If you plan to save this email, please consider the environment, and print this message to save electricity by leaving your PC off or in standby. Thank you!"

'Nuff said.

Posted by: Mike Miller | Aug 31, 2009 4:48:21 PM

Somke better ideas for cleaning up the environment:
1. You are at a park? Rest stop? As you leave, don't just pick up your own stuff. Pick up an additional 5-10 pieces of paper someone else left...
2.No throwing trash on the ground. Train your kids as well.
3. Switch to florescent bulbs.
4. Unplug your rechargable phone/etc when it is full.
5.Walk, don't use a car (when feasabile)

Posted by: rickismom | Aug 31, 2009 5:18:02 PM

B"H

Right. It's not just "recycle," it's reduce, reuse, reinvigorate {as in replanting trees}, and there's fifth one I forget.

Posted by: Ben-Yehudah | Aug 31, 2009 5:32:48 PM

hey...technical genius... why not print only page 1 of #.
:) tee hee
(and no...i don't use that tagline. people are dumb... and i am not going to try and educate the world via my signature line)

Posted by: weese | Aug 31, 2009 5:42:39 PM

I am delighted when you practice the art of curmudgeon. I can see that you will be delightful at it, duly embarrassing your progeny, as is expected of high-caliber grumpy old men. Fie on all this "acts of senseless love" nonsense!

Posted by: rutimizrachi | Aug 31, 2009 6:47:42 PM

Your local gan would love a pile of that paper in the recycling bin. We've been supplying our gan with paper for years! Kids don't care what they color on.... as long as one side of it is white.

Posted by: Deva | Aug 31, 2009 8:10:26 PM

My wife washes all the items we put in the recycling bin. I haven't been able to convince her that washing something that will soon be melted is the opposite of being environmentally conscience. It seems that to most people, feeling that you are doing something to help is much more important than actually doing something that helps.

Posted by: Dave Bailey | Aug 31, 2009 9:04:31 PM

Bless you for writing about this. I was considering a long rant about this subject on my site, but um, my online persona is somewhat constrained.

First of all, paper is made from trees grown specifically for making paper. So saving paper to save trees makes no more sense than trying to save potatoes by not eating french fries. If you use more paper, more trees will be planted to replace them. If you eat fewer fries, they'll plant fewer potatoes. The planet won't change in either case.

Second of all, the condescending assumption that the author of the email is more thoughtful or more concerned about the environment than me drives me nuts. What if I had an email signature saying "Please stop beating your wife."? Why don't people focus less on trying to perfect my character and worry instead about whatever the content of their email was?

And finally, do people really print emails frequently? And if they do, will the annoying reminder at the bottom stop them?

Wow. I really needed to vent. Thanks for that.

To feel better, I'm going to print this entire post and comment tread 10 times and burn the paper in my back yard.

Posted by: Albert | Aug 31, 2009 11:05:36 PM

I'm just glad the printer (b&w) at my office prints on both sides. I made it my default. I've been banging my head in a wall trying to get a co-worker to change her settings, but she's very very old fashioned... prints every email, using the color printer, single sided. Argh!!!!! I've got other gripes with her, but this probably isn't the place...

Posted by: JDMDad | Aug 31, 2009 11:55:29 PM

Unless I really need a hard copy, I've taken to "printing" files as .pdf's that I simply store on my hard drive. Printing off e-mails, in all but the most unusual cases, is like setting fire to your house in order to get rid of a spider in your bathroom. (That may be the worst analogy I have ever constructed.)

Posted by: Elisson | Sep 1, 2009 5:35:09 AM

Elisson: but setting fire to your house gets rid of ALL the spiders and jookim too!

and yah... I hate the stupid tagline myself.

I don't get why anyone would print an email under 95% of circumstances... but that's just me... I would say that aside from the shul bulletin which we print and hang up at the shul each week, I print maybe 10 emails a year.

Posted by: LeahGG | Sep 3, 2009 12:50:21 AM