« A reason for everything... even a lack of 'Zitz Fleisch' | Main | Popping 'the question' »

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

They have no idea...

My commute takes me through/past dozens of Arab towns and villages, and I have long since gotten used to seeing Palestinian flags, Hamas flags and even the occasional Hezbollah flag, waving from a house or painted on the side of a building.   What do I care?  Let them cast their lot in with whoever they like.

But as our parents used to remind us, people are judged by the company they keep as much as (and maybe more than) by their actions.

With that in mind, it didn't really bother me much when a few months ago I saw that a Hamas flag was fluttering from the electrical lines along the road I travel (Rt 60) just south of Hevron.  It was a little flag, with stones tied to the two short snap ropes.  It had been tossed up so that one of the stones would catch over the wire while the other one would weigh down the flag, allowing it to fluttter as if tied to a pole... actually quite a clever idea.

However, a few days ago one of my passengers pointed out that the Hamas flag was gone... and in its place fluttered a small white flag.

Flag 002

There wasn't much of a breeze so at first glance it was difficult to tell what was painted on the flag.  But as the breeze picked up...

Flag 006

It became clear what was painted on the flag.

Flag 004

The Palestinians and their supporters toss around the words 'Nazi' and 'Genocide' quite glibly as if it was an accepted fact that Israel was a modern analog to the Third Reich, and that the Palestinians were being systematically liquidated by us.

I wish I could have a few minutes in a public forum to debate the Holocaust denier Abbas or his lying snake of a side-kick Saeb Erikat.  I'd challenge them both to show the world the mass graves... to show everyone the bodies!  Let them name the people Israel has killed, and number them on a list for all to see as we have done at Yad Vashem.

Once they had failed to produce the evidence they claim, I would then show them the lists created by the Nazis themselves (who were nothing if not orderly) of the Jews (and others) they murdered.  I would show them the irrefutable evidence of the mass graves and the remaining infrastructure of the 'final solution'.  I would hold up to their lying eyes the actual records proving that far more Palestinians have died at the hands of their brother Arabs than at the hands of Israelis.

But this would be an exercise in futility... because they already know all this.  Abbas did his Doctoral thesis on the Holocaust (although he arrived at somewhat different conclusions than even the German Government), and Erikat seems to have a Holocaust fixation, to the point that heuses every public speech to convince the world that the Palestinian 'Holocaust' is even more horrible than the Jewish and Armenian genocide's combined.

But the saddest part is that the uneducated idiots who hung the white flag with the swastika have no idea what a Nazi really is.  For them, the word has lost all it's power... and that is perhaps the worst thing of all.

Posted by David Bogner on June 2, 2009 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference They have no idea...:

Comments

Unless I misunderstand you, you are saying that the person who put up that flag is calling the Israelis Nazis.

I submit that they are not calling *us* Nazis but rather saying that the Nazis were right and calling on *their brethren* to be more like Nazis.

Posted by: Sarah B. | Jun 2, 2009 4:59:51 PM

David,
Whatever happened to that Israeli political figure you were talking to but wouldn't name (did I miss the announcement)? You seemed to have so much hope that you had finally found a good one.

Posted by: Anonymous | Jun 2, 2009 5:34:15 PM

"They have no idea..."? It appears to me that those who associate themselves with Nazi have a clear and sober idea what it is about. Ever heard of Mohammad Amin al-Husayni? Another famous Palestinian leader and figurehead of the original Nazi movement. It boggles the mind that the British let him go. But obviously in the late 40ies they estimated the Soviet threat quite severe and they let a lot of war criminals go without trial in the context that they will fight emerging Socialism in the Middle East and the emerging State of Israel.

Posted by: Abu Zibby | Jun 2, 2009 5:55:23 PM

I kinda agree with Sarah, but either way, it sucks.

Posted by: jordan Hirsch | Jun 2, 2009 5:58:56 PM

They hate us. But that is nothing new, over the generations (well more than 100 generations), there have always been people that hate us. Apparently, now it's the Arabs turn to hate us (among smatterings of hate elsewhere, of course, it never really goes away, it just declines to a light simmer.

Sarah - The important thing is that we always be as ethical as we can, regardless of who does or does not acknowledge it.

Yes! We need to be as ethical as possible as defined by the Torah.

Here is a link to a set of interesting responses from Rabbis (and others) to the question - "How Should Jews Treat Their Arab Neighbors?"

The last answer by a Chabad Rabbi is the most interesting one I think.

Posted by: Mark | Jun 2, 2009 6:21:59 PM

Given the ever-growing Palestinian population, it would appear that we're as bad at genocide as we are at hasbara.

Posted by: RR | Jun 2, 2009 6:39:31 PM

You're right about Erakat. I know he's taken as a "moderate" in the western media, but no one seems to recall his rabid performance at Ted Koppels first "town hall" 20 years ago. After Erakat launched into a tirade calling Israel Nazis, peace-nik Dedi Zucker was so shaken (from what I understand, his parents were Holocaust survivors) that he said something like "I can talk to your friends, I can't talk to you."

Posted by: soccer dad | Jun 2, 2009 9:09:37 PM

I'd challenge them both to show the world the mass graves... to show everyone the bodies!

That wouldn't work. They've already proven that they're perfectly willing to dig up and desecrate their own dead from cemeteries, to make it look like they were attacked.

Posted by: Tanya | Jun 2, 2009 9:52:50 PM

The loss of meaning of the word is quite significant.

Posted by: Jack | Jun 2, 2009 10:53:13 PM

We need to continue to focus on Holocaust education. We need to challenge people whose circuits are not already fried to take the time to really see what is happening to Israel (which you do beautifully) and to understand 'the conflict' based on facts. And we need to keep educating people about the anti-Semitic/gay hating/woman hating Muslims who are ironically crying 'victim' at every turn.

I used to accept the canard that Palestinians are the number one victims of Israel, as much as I have always loved Israel, and now I don't because I took the time to actually learn about the situation instead of being lazy and simply accepting what I was being told on the evening news. If I can change my mind so can others. Don't lose hope.

Posted by: Alice | Jun 3, 2009 3:53:14 PM

If the word Nazi has lost its meaning, we are partially to blame. Israelis / Jews are very quick to toss out the word Nazi. In particular, I remember during the hitnatkut when those opposing hitnatkut plastered J'lem with posters portraying Israeli soldiers basically as Nazis. It literally made me sick to my stomach--all I could think was "if they were Nazis, they would be just moving in and mowing you down v'zehu."

For what it is worth--my view of settlements and settlers is still colored by those posters.

Does it bother me when non-Jews shout "Nazi" at every opportunity? Of course. But it bothers me even more when we do. We, of all people, should understand what it really means. And when Arabs say it--is this really a surprise? Why the high expectations?

Posted by: Gila | Jun 3, 2009 9:31:15 PM

Alice, thank you for your comment. I have been confronted by someone I thought I knew very well who referred to Jews as "mass murderers". I have been hesitant to respond because a) I'm still seeing red at that one and need to calm down, and b) I felt like trying to change the mind of someone who thinks like that is an effort in futility. You've made me rethink that; I just might give it a go.

Posted by: Alissa | Jun 3, 2009 9:51:15 PM

If you go and meet the idiot, take me along. I have a family story to tell him. And I have a book that I'd like him to read instead of the asinine history books that they seriously give Palestinian children. And can I quote the German consul for a second, who telegraphed to Berlin from Jerusalem about meeting the Grand Mufti on March 13, 1933:
"Mufti explained to me today in detail that Mohammedans inside and outside of Palestine welcome Germany's new regime and hope for the dissemination of fascist anti-democratic governance to other countries. Current Jewish influence on economy and politics everywhere is to be fought hard against."
(this and more to be read in Tilman Tarach, unfortunately not yet translated into English)

Oh, and do add to Yad Vashem the Beit HaLohamei HaGetaot and Yad LaYeled.

Posted by: a. | Jun 4, 2009 1:37:35 PM

Alissa, I will add that I never thought Israel committed mass murder. I used to think they were unsympathetic to the Palestinians and were picking on weaklings. Mass murder is an extreme claim. I'm not saying that you shouldn't try. Maybe challenging the person to read from multiple sources, from inside and outside Israel, is a good place to start. I think it's interesting that people find sources from within Israel that come at things from every angle under the sun, evidence that there is freedom of speech within Isreal, clearly. But there is not the same freedom anywhere else in the Middle East as far as I know. That in and of itself is revealing. I also think it's interesting to push people on gay rights and womens rights. If one is sympathetic to either cause, clearly Israel is the best place in the Middle East to be. I'm not saying any place is perfect. Anyway, I'm rambling. I could go on and on. Good luck!

Posted by: Alice | Jun 5, 2009 2:38:11 AM