« All that glitters isn't... ours | Main | A friendly request »

Thursday, April 02, 2009

This Year Near Jerusalem….

….there is at least one family who will not need the Seder salt water for dipping their bitter herb to symbolize the tears of our ancestors….

[a guest post by Zahava]

The name has not yet been released. But I can taste my own bitter tears as I type. I can barely see the screen as my heart and soul cry out in pain and in anger.

ברוך דיין אמת

A family in a neighboring yishuv will have the unbearable task of burying their 13-year old son sometime today….

This boy – the same age as our beloved Gilad -- was killed when a terrorist armed with an axe and a knife entered their picturesque community and attacked him and a 7-year old (who is in serious condition).

May Hashem comfort this family. May He grant a full recovery to the 7-year old.

Posted by David Bogner on April 2, 2009 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference This Year Near Jerusalem….:

Comments

What to say....there's nothing I can say, other than to echo your last two sentences.

Well, there is one thing I can add....justice for the barbarian who did that.

Posted by: Karl Newman | Apr 2, 2009 2:09:00 PM

JPost reports that the 7 y/o is in light to moderate condition, not serious.

Posted by: Karl Newman | Apr 2, 2009 2:11:18 PM

I cannot imagine their pain. Baruch Dayan Emet.
I have read that the seven year old is named Shlomo Ben Revital.

Posted by: debbie | Apr 2, 2009 2:11:48 PM

Amen. May Hashem grant a refua shelaima to Shlomo ben Revital, the little boy in critical condition due to the hatred of an Arab and the lack of horror over such acts by the so-called "civilized" world. May Hashem grant a yeshua to the parents and family of the murdered boy, to help them to walk upright through lives tormented by birthdays uncelebrated and life cycle events which will forever have a bloody, gaping hole where he should have been. May Hashem bring an end to the madness.

Posted by: rutimizrachi | Apr 2, 2009 2:11:55 PM

Karl: I have seen reports of both moderate and serious.

But. We are talking about a 7-year old. Being stabbed. Stabbed. Intentionally.

Also, due to the many years of terror status is often under- rather than over- reported. Where as in the US losing a limb might be reported as critical, here it is often reported as serious. There are lots of reasons for this, but honestly, at the moment I am too drained to get into it...

Posted by: zahava | Apr 2, 2009 2:28:37 PM

i know, zahava, i know.

i just read about it and immediately called my own soon-to-be 13 year old son.

there are no words.

Posted by: nikki | Apr 2, 2009 2:31:27 PM

Ok, I was just passing on the news.

Posted by: Karl Newman | Apr 2, 2009 2:40:46 PM

Thoughts and prayers for those suffering...

Posted by: ProphetJoe | Apr 2, 2009 4:06:40 PM

It is just terrible.

Posted by: Jack | Apr 2, 2009 6:00:03 PM

Terrible to hear. Baruch Dayan Ha-emet.

Posted by: SaraK | Apr 2, 2009 6:06:16 PM

"May Hashem comfort this family. May He grant a full recovery to the 7-year old. "

Amen.

Posted by: Sarah B. | Apr 2, 2009 6:18:46 PM

Karl,
I read that the 7 year old has a broken skull from being hit with the ax. That is "not serious" here.

Posted by: Yosef | Apr 2, 2009 6:47:21 PM

Karl: I apologize if it sounded like I was coming down on you. I wasn't -- I know how much you care from all your years of kind comments.

My response was emotional and deeply colored by the fact that many people don't realize how terror perpetrated in tight civilian spaces has dramatically affected how "conditions" are reported here.

I alluded before to the fact that loss of a limb is reported as serious rather than critical. That is a direct result of how terror perpetrated in tight civilian spaces affects the gravity of wounds to the victims. The closer a victim to the point of explosion... well... you get the picture....

The first time I was out in public after a pigua, an Israeli friend translated the news feed for me. I was shocked when she casually shared the report that there were several moderately wounded -- some of whom were unconscious. When I explained that loss of consciousness wouldn't be described as moderate in the press in the States until the condition was clarified upon medical examination, she shocked me further by saying, "Yes, but by moderate you know they are intact. If it were serious you would need to be concerned if they'd lost an arm or a leg."

I was so upset I could barely choke out the question, "Then what does it mean if the report is critical?" My friend lowered her eyes, but not before I saw them fill with moisture, "it means pray" she whispered.

Posted by: zahava | Apr 2, 2009 7:43:46 PM

This is so incredibly hard to bear. I echo your words for the inadequacy of my own.
ברוך דיין אמת

Posted by: Kae Gregory | Apr 2, 2009 9:03:43 PM

Zahava,

No problem. I realize that you're upset and understandably so. This incident was not just a tragedy, but one that hit very close to you in several ways.

Posted by: Karl Newman | Apr 3, 2009 12:10:56 AM

What can one say? This is a completely typical jihad attack, by a Muslim, against two completely defenceless non-Muslim children - Jewish children in this case, since Jews, to judge from the mountain of evidence compiled by Dr Bostom in his 'Legacy of Islamic Antisemitism', seem to be singled out for a specially venomous and murderous hatred, by classical Islam - but in other parts of the world the victims might have been, and are, Hindu children, or Buddhist, or Christian, or African animist, or even other Muslims deemed to require punishment for being-insufficiently-islamic.

And the actual 'reason' for the attack, which is no reason at all that any sane and decent human being would entertain for a moment, would be the same: to enact, flaunt and extend the actual and perceived temporal power of Islam, of the Ummah: for as the accursed Hassan al-Banna once wrote, "Islam is to dominate, and not be dominated". One must also bear in mind the fact that at the core of Islam, murder of a Designated Victim (i.e., of the hated Infidel, who is guilty and worthy of death until and unless they submit to Islam, that is, to Muslim despotism), seems to be thought of as the murderer's ticket to Paradise.

I will pray that the justice of the Holy One will strike that despicable child-murderer, the jihadi assassin.

And I will pray for the healing of the hurt Jewish child, and for divine comfort for him and for his parents and for all who live in the Judean village of Bat Ayin.

Posted by: dumbledoresarmy | Apr 3, 2009 4:08:34 AM

My heart goes out to the family who has lost their beloved child.

Ha-Makom yenachem etchem b'toch sha'ar aveilei Zion viyrushalayim.

Refuah sheleimah to Sh'lomo ben Revital.

This says a lot about the kind of people we are dealing with. I used to think a "Palestinian" state would solve a lot of problems... but by their everyday actions, the people living in the West Bank and Gaza are proving themselves incapable of behaving in a manner befitting civilized humans, never mind the proprietors of a modern nation-state. One day, perhaps, they may change... and one day, perhaps, Moshiach may come. But I'm not holding my breath waiting for either event.

Posted by: Elisson | Apr 3, 2009 4:11:54 AM

As sometimes happens when news is passed quickly, I listed the name of the boy who no longer needed our prayers. The name of the murdered boy was Shlomo. The boy who still needs prayers is Yair ben Michal. May we share good news.

Posted by: rutimizrachi | Apr 3, 2009 8:06:37 AM

Trust Hamas to call the act "a natural response to the "occupation."" to rule the future Palestine State. Bah!

Posted by: Rami | Apr 3, 2009 11:13:09 AM

I pray for the family of the murdered boy, and for the healing of Yair ben Michal, and for swift justice for the murderer.

Posted by: Rahel | Apr 3, 2009 6:05:44 PM

There are few words to describe the horror this family must be enduring. Nothing justifies an attack upon innocents, especially children.

I grieve for their loss and pray for the recovery of Yair ben Michal.

Posted by: Ken | Apr 3, 2009 7:53:46 PM

so few words, such a powerful message

I have not been able to deal with this incident without breaking down in tears.

I sat in front of my computer for over an hour, trying to figure out what to write about it and erasing everything 'cause it just sounded so trite.

In the end, I wrote nothing, and felt inadequate.

As so often happens, I read here the words that I failed to find.

Thank you.