« My new favorite music video | Main | A few things I love about Passover »

Thursday, April 16, 2009

So there!

I got a nasty email from someone who shall remain nameless, implying (oh who am I kidding, she came right out and said it) that the only reason I shared that video yesterday is because the female model who appears in it is totally hot.   Which, she goes on to add, makes me totally shallow.

Okay, there might be a little something to that... the model in the video's is kinda easy to look at.   But the really compelling thing about the video is the artistry with which the words and images are woven together in a time lapse montage.  Really.

But just to make sure nobody thinks I'm this shallow guy who only finds videos with hot looking women compelling, here is proof to the contrary.  Try not to cry.  I dare you:

Susan Boyle on Britain's Got Talent
by dwarthy

Posted by David Bogner on April 16, 2009 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference So there!:

Comments

That redhead IS hot. Fine even.

No, Mrs. Boyle did not make me cry. But she really can sing. It looks like Simon found another Paul Potts.

Posted by: Karl Newman | Apr 16, 2009 4:32:25 PM

It was fun to watch Miss Boyle make Simon smile. She was a delight! Still....the red head is more compelling in her elegent sleep, né?

Posted by: Jewel | Apr 16, 2009 6:10:14 PM

Wow! That was beautiful! Six tissues worth :-) Thanks Trep!

Posted by: Tehillah | Apr 16, 2009 7:22:58 PM

I like this commentary on the clip, and the comments:

Posted by: Sarah B. | Apr 16, 2009 10:02:06 PM

I liked both ... but yes, I prefer that woman in bed, but loved that 'older' dame's voice! WOW!

Posted by: val | Apr 16, 2009 10:49:02 PM

She is not bad, there is potential there.

Posted by: Jack | Apr 16, 2009 11:50:20 PM

Coincidentally, I had just blubbed my way through this video on Youtube. I just wished the audience hadn't made such a noise so that you could hear her properly. A talent to watch, that's for sure.

Posted by: Noa | Apr 17, 2009 12:41:18 AM

When I saw that video yesterday I was shocked by how cruel, how astonishingly cruel, the audience was, the poor woman is clearly not the brightest bulb and yet she dared do something that most wouldn't, for all their bravado, and that instant reaction?? I wanted to smack every single one of those laughing gits. And then she opened her mouth and that voice came out, and the world righted itself a bit because, at the end of the day, no one will be able to take that moment away from her. She has had a heartbreaking life, poor family, bullied at school for not learning disabilities - she hasn't ever been kissed, can you imagine? It's very sad. I am truly glad, for her, that she did it.

Also, the person who sent you the email saying you only posted the clip because the model is hot? Funny thing, you know those witnesses who describe their assailant but neglect to mention that he was black because, you know, that would be racist? It's called 'reverse racism' and it comes in all shapes. Also? We expect from others only that which we ourselves are capable of doing, it takes a fair amount of obsession and tunnel vision to say something that inane. Honestly, for all the clever readers you have you do attract some rather daft ones as well. I'm pissy.

Posted by: Lioness | Apr 17, 2009 1:07:22 AM

so i learned from an israeli blog about a british tv show and it's been confirmed that we'll be seeing susan boyle on Oprah here in chicago.

Posted by: lynne | Apr 17, 2009 3:12:17 AM

Shir Shomron IS totally hot and the video is a serious piece of talent! and no Mrs. Boyle can take her place. Good to be back and shallow at that. :-)

Posted by: Rami | Apr 17, 2009 9:35:41 AM

Not to diminish her performance at all, but this seems pretty much a Paul Potts redux to me. Also, since I know the song so well, I'm much more able to nitpick, and I don't think that performance, purely on its vocal merits, would get her past a second-round professional audition for Fantine. Brava to her for facing her demons (there is nothing that I have done in my life more terrifying than singing a song that I love in front of a group of strangers), and I hope that this comes out well for her, but there's only so many times the same narrative will gut-punch me.

Also, fer cryin' out loud, can't an audience keep quiet for 10 seconds when someone's singing? The overreaction to every verse (whether real or dubbed in) is just ludicrous.

Okay, thus endeth the curmudgeonly reaction. Blame it on the matzah...

Posted by: efrex | Apr 17, 2009 8:15:26 PM

Les Miz is one of the most powerful musicals ever, in general.

Posted by: Erachet | Apr 17, 2009 10:53:32 PM

It is amazing to me that some people can not see how both people are beautiful. The redhead is a beauty, and it seems a natural one at that and so is Susan Boyle in a different way. Susan Boyle's voice and humility combine in an amazing way that turned millions of people on a dime. That's the power of a great artist. Personally, I would much rather turn on the TV and see people who look like Susan Boyle and Paul Potts. In terms of technical skill, it's over rated, in my opinion. The emotion and the unique quality of her voice are so touching.

Posted by: Alice | Apr 18, 2009 3:42:25 PM

Give.me.strength.

(I am a trained singer, and honestly, I really take offense by what producers do in these shows. But now that even those are "opera/voice connoisseurs" who, prior to a Paul Potts, would only have the worst to say about opera as such, I can't even dare a word of critique without being called an arrogant a--hole.)

Posted by: a. | Apr 18, 2009 5:10:31 PM

I saw a performance of Les Mis at the Kennedy Center in DC and found it to be painfully boring and ridiculous, yet I can see Boyle perform that one song and love it. I'm sure the performers I saw were more skilled than she, yet their performances were totally forgettable and annoying. Or they were overwhelmed by the crazy moving set and pyrotechnics.

Posted by: Alice | Apr 18, 2009 5:45:11 PM

I think people are missing the point.

It's not about Susan Boyle being a superior opera singer. It's about someone overcoming so many impediments in life, daring to do what most people in her situation would not, and doing the most with what she can. I don't think it's even fair to make comparisons with trained professionals who've been taking voice lessons since childhood and devoted their life to music.

Posted by: Irina | Apr 19, 2009 4:16:19 AM

Whatta coinkydink Trep! I just posted Ms. Boyle's audition on my site today as well. Sure -- I can hear the occasional weaknesses; and she's more pop than opera (that goes for just about everyone), but to hear her sing, to see her sing...

You, musician, understand as I do: when we are playing, we are all the same age as we have ever been, playing with a bunch of people who are the same age as we are. It is timeless; I feel sympathy for those who haven;t been there.

And Miss Boyle has been there. You can see it on her face when she sings.

Posted by: Wry Mouth | Apr 19, 2009 4:45:53 AM

i have no idea about singing technique and the like, but i got the chills the first time i saw it. so brave - i could never get up in front of an audience and sing. Brava Brava Brava!!!

Posted by: Hadassah | Apr 19, 2009 4:51:42 AM