« What's all the fuss? | Main | Bret Stephens nails it again »

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Moral support please

I have to admit it... when the weather turned cold last year, I sort of slowed down on my daily walking regimen.  Um, okay, maybe I abandoned it altogether, but let's not quibble.

If you look down on the lower right hand column of this site you will see my 'Walker Tracker' stats.  As of two days ago I have started adding my daily steps again.  I need a little push from my friends if you see the numbers trailing off (or stopping altogether) again... and maybe an occasional pat on the back when the stats are particularly good.

Thanks... I knew I could count on you.

Posted by David Bogner on April 21, 2009 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Moral support please:

Comments

Kol ha-hatchalot kashot. You'll do fine, now that you've started. Thanks for the inspiration. Time for Chez Mizrachi to stop living off the fat of the land, too.

Posted by: rutimizrachi | Apr 21, 2009 6:08:19 PM

Well, It seems as if we are in the same Walker's Rut, friend. Reading this motivates me to walk again, too. Thank you, and you'll do fine. You've inspired me! So casting your bread upon the world wide web of waters will be inspirational payback!

Posted by: Jewel | Apr 21, 2009 8:08:33 PM

Aha! The sudden interest in my walking routine makes sooooo much more sense now!

(And, yes! I will be your own personal cheer-leader!)

Posted by: zahava | Apr 21, 2009 8:42:10 PM

i started walking last night - gonna try and do it as often as possible. its easier when you walk with someone. we are all cheering you on!

Posted by: Hadassah | Apr 21, 2009 9:00:39 PM

That is so funny! I also started to walk again after Pesach....well actually, I've only been thinking about walking. But one of these days I'm gonna do it, yesiree.

Posted by: Baila | Apr 21, 2009 10:15:02 PM

good for you! the latest buzzword in the magazines etc. i read is "interval training". ok, that's two words, but whatever. a very hifalutin' way of saying "vary your speed". allegedly this revs up the metabolism more than walking at a steady pace, even if that pace is fairly high. try a few minutes warmup at a very easy clip, then alternate between segments at higher speed/moderate speed, then easy cooldown at the end. keeping track of the intervals seems to make the time go by faster, less time for the mind to wander and kvetch about being bored.

Posted by: bratschegirl | Apr 22, 2009 12:34:06 AM

I am with you on the need for moral support. I tried to go back on the treadmill, the one I got for free from someone here in the community. It is kind of shaky, and i have no room to put a small dvd player to watch something while walking. it seems I will have to buy a new one that fits my needs :), in the meantime, go David, you can walk it!!

Posted by: David S | Apr 22, 2009 7:52:51 AM

How does the whole thing work?

Posted by: Ilana-Davita | Apr 22, 2009 10:21:56 AM

WALK, D--N YOU!!1

Posted by: Wry Mouth | Apr 22, 2009 10:29:28 AM

rutimizrachi... I could live of the fat of my @ss for quite a while. :-)

Jewel... Feel free to sign up for the Walker Tracker program (it's free) and we can 'walk together'.

zahava... Yes dear, I always have an ulterior motive. :-)

Hadassah ... Like I said to Jewel, you can sign up for Walker Tracker and we can walk together. It would be fun!

Baila... Ok, thinking about starting is good too. :-)

bratschegirl... and here I thought 'interval training' meant cleansing one's mouth with the appropriate wines between courses. :-)

David S... I have yet to meet anyone (except perhaps the blogger who writes Book of Joe while using his treadmill) who uses a treadmill, StairMaster or Nordic track for anything but a coat rack.

Ilana-Davita ... It works like this: First you start eating too much... then you slack off on the exercise. After a while your weight starts to creep up... oh wait, you were talking about 'Walker Tracker, weren't you? :-) You can go to their web site and sign up for free. It's all pretty self explanatory (once you go to a sporting goods store and buy yourself a pedometer). As I've said to others in this thread, I would be delighted to have new 'companions' on my walks... even if we are on different continents.

Wry Mouth ... Here's hoping you never decide to volunteer on a Suicide Hotline or work as a hostage negotiator. :-)

Posted by: treppenwitz | Apr 22, 2009 11:33:06 AM

Go Treppy! Go Treppy! Go Treppy!!

Posted by: Alice | Apr 23, 2009 8:25:54 PM