« A friendly request | Main | A Passover Haiku »

Monday, April 06, 2009

A humble prayer

There will come an awkward moment this Wednesday, just after the point in time when Hametz can no longer be consumed, but about two-thirds of a day before the Seder actually begins.  Our bodies will be telling us it is lunch time... but our wives will be telling us to get the hell out of their kitchens!

I dream of being finished with enough of the pre-Passover preparations by mid-day on Wednesday that I will be able to take a break and fry/grill up a big batch of liver, onions and potatoes to nosh on with a few of my buddies from the neighborhood.

By that time my friends and I will all have wrenched backs from schlepping boxes of dishes and Passover supplies for our wives, and our stomachs will be rumbling from the incredible aromas emanating from the 'forbidden zone' (our kitchens).

So my humble prayer is to be released from my domestic servitude early enough on Wednesday to be able to prepare and enjoy this meager (but delicious) fare with my friends.

Posted by David Bogner on April 6, 2009 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference A humble prayer:

Comments

I'll bring the beer! (Pause.) Oops.

Posted by: rutimizrachi | Apr 6, 2009 9:55:44 AM

amen. and don't forget to save some for zahava!

Posted by: Debbie | Apr 6, 2009 9:59:27 AM

MMMmmmm, lover, onions and potaoes ( grilled ) sounds d e l i c i o u s ! Keeping my fingers crossed that you'll have enough time for that !
Chag Sameach!

Posted by: Jany | Apr 6, 2009 10:10:14 AM

oh, of course i meant liver :-) ( obviously i typed that comment before reaching my cafeine-cruise-level....)

Posted by: Jany | Apr 6, 2009 12:10:28 PM

...or come on over to our house.
Every Erev Pesach the standard fare is potato salad, along with salami and eggs... yum!

Posted by: G6 | Apr 6, 2009 3:06:24 PM

For those of us Orthodox Jews who live outside Israel, who will be enjoying Shabbat after two days of Yomtov, toward the end of which we will be getting hives just from looking at a table set for yet another festive carnivorous extravaganza, trying vegetarianism before Pesach is kind of appealing.

As for beer, it is unfortunate that honey beer with hops are not made for Pesach. That would be wonderful. Maybe I'll make my own for next year.... If anyone has a recipe that yields a product that is not cloyingly sweet, please forward it to me.

Posted by: Barzilai | Apr 6, 2009 6:10:49 PM

The more you help. the more likely that will be!

Posted by: rickismom | Apr 6, 2009 6:19:36 PM

Um... good luck? I can't imagine an erev Pesach scenario that could possibly allow for a husband doing anything as self-indulgent as eating, but maybe Zahava is more on top of these things than we are...

Posted by: uberimma | Apr 6, 2009 7:03:25 PM

Where did you say you lived? (I mean exact address, with directions from Modiin included).

Posted by: Baila | Apr 6, 2009 7:14:05 PM

Sounds good to me!

Posted by: Ilana-Davita | Apr 6, 2009 7:58:39 PM

Mmmmmmm... liver, onions, and 'taters...

...about the only thing that might even be a leetle bit better would show up near the beginning of the Seder meal: chopped liver (nice and oniony, with gribenes embedded herein), served atop crisp chunks of matzah. The slivovitz with which to wash it down is optional, but all that alcohol cuts the schmaltz very effectively...

Posted by: Elisson | Apr 6, 2009 10:48:04 PM

Uberimma: Zahava is so NOT more on top of things than you are.... perhaps you missed the ending of Sunday's post?

Oh, and for the love of G-d, don't even hint about any of that stuff to Zahava... because she will kill you. (emphasis added, mine)

Posted by: zahava | Apr 7, 2009 8:50:37 AM

Our traditional food for erev Pesach is potato salad with cut up salami in it. What can I say, we're Yekkes :-)

Posted by: Mark | Apr 7, 2009 10:09:59 PM

so, did you do it?

Posted by: Rivka with a capital A | Apr 19, 2009 5:51:25 PM

The comments to this entry are closed.