« Cafestol; Mornings may never be the same again | Main | [mostly] for my mother... »

Sunday, February 08, 2009

I'm an Observer (according to 'France 24')

I was interviewed by 'France 24' this week... along with an Israeli Arab and a left wing Tel Avivi.  I guess that makes me the right wing settler in the bunch.

The segment is published in both English and French.  I hope that nothing was lost in the translation.  It was a phone interview and the woman who asked the questions seems to have done an excellent job of faithfully relating what I said... at least in English.  But it would be nice if someone who is comfortable in French did a quick comparison to make sure I haven't called for anyone's assassination, mmkay?  :-)

Go take a look.

Posted by David Bogner on February 8, 2009 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference I'm an Observer (according to 'France 24'):

Comments

Left, Arab, you, left and far left. Now that's 'fair and balanced.' Not a surprise, though.

Posted by: Karl Newman | Feb 9, 2009 1:08:13 AM

not that I'm biased, but at least you came across as the most articulate of the bunch.

Posted by: noa | Feb 9, 2009 8:08:27 AM

The French is a correct rendition of the English text. Noa is right, you are the only one using rational arguments.

Posted by: Ruth | Feb 9, 2009 11:36:36 AM

Liked your last comment.

Posted by: Ed | Feb 9, 2009 6:35:52 PM

I am comfortable with French since it happens to be the language I was brought in and yes the interview is well translated.

Posted by: Ilana-Davita | Feb 9, 2009 7:32:24 PM

Do you feel comfortable when you're being invited to interviews as "the right-wing settler"? All the interviews I've read so far love to put you in that drawer - but on whose initiative actually?

Posted by: a. | Feb 10, 2009 12:54:35 PM

The French text might make you more extreme than you are
but that is because of certain words' connotations in French. "Right-wing settler" becomes "colon de droite", a colonist, harking back to French colonisation of Africa..."Ultra nationalist" is translated as "extreme droite", or far-right party, the equivalent of Le Pen in France or the BNP in the UK...Finally, there is a mistake in the translation of "commodity" which is mistranslated as "commodité" when it should have been "marchandise" or sth like that, but that doesn't really affect the meaning of the last sentence anyway...I guess it *is* a French website/channel also broadcasting in the Arab world!

Posted by: FT | Feb 19, 2009 7:11:08 PM