« Excuse me, did we sleep together last night? | Main | Gee, I wonder what the heck prompted Starbucks to say all that? »

Sunday, February 15, 2009

I give up! HELP!!!

It was bad enough when the TTLB Ecosystem had some sort of a brain aneurysm and ended up on life-support just after (or perhaps because) I finally got solidly ranked as a Large Mammal.

But when Blogrolling.com got 'brutally hacked' (their words, not mine... I've never actually heard of anyone's site being 'gently hacked'), some of us who lack basic coding skills were thrown into a twilight world without the ability to add or delete blogs in our sidebars.

Now, I can survive without the neat little functionality that moves recently updated blogs to the top of the list (although that was a nifty time-saver, to be sure).  But it has been almost four months now since blogrolling.com was taken off-line andI really need to do some house-cleaning over there in my blogroll.

Aside from several quality blogs I've been wanting to add to my blogroll, there are more than a few blogs over there in my sidebar with whom I desperately need to have the "We need to talk..." speech.  You know, the one whose second line is "It's not you, it's me...".

Oh who am I kidding?  It's you!

I'm talking about those of you who have simply abandoned your blogs without so much as a good-bye post or a forwarding URL.  I'm also talking about those of you who started out with such promise (funny, insightful, deep, useful, etc.), and have since devolved into meme factories, Youtube mirror sites and saccharine chain-letter pushers.

Then, of course, there are those of you with whom I strongly disagree on almost every issue, but who I used to read religiously for balance and to receive a regular reality check.  Until, that is, you lost your freaking mind and dropped even the thinnest pretense of sanity.  Now I just look at your blog name and ask myself 'what was I thinking'?

So I guess what I'm really saying here is that I need to do some housecleaning and am desperately in need of recommendations for a new, user-friendly blogroll host.

P.S. Yes, I know that everything would be right with the world if only I would set up a home server, host my own site and hand-crochet every last nugget of code in my template myself.    But people... I have trouble with telephone Interactive Voice Response systems, so any suggestion that I leave my warm, safe WYSIWYG world will be viewed as ridicule, and resented forever.

Posted by David Bogner on February 15, 2009 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference I give up! HELP!!!:

Comments

hi there,

I'm just watching the women's tennis final from Paris, and the Eurosport commentators had some breaking news......Shahia Peer has been refused entry to the Dubai tournament next week, by the UAE.....

wouldn't it be great if the other players were to boycott it? Can't see it happening somehow though.... :(

Posted by: Claire | Feb 15, 2009 4:23:54 PM

Oh c'mon. If you can ensonify several square miles of ocean, you can certainly handle this challenge.

Posted by: Karl Newman | Feb 15, 2009 4:28:16 PM

Claire ... I saw that. Can you imagine the international outcry if Israel were to ever deny some athlete a visa for any reason?

Karl Newman ... Need I remind you that the AN-SQS 26CX Sonar system (and all related fire-control computers) on which I worked were entirely analog? :-)

Posted by: David Bogner | Feb 15, 2009 4:40:26 PM

Between blogrolling, blogs that die, blogs that lose all rationality, and the like, I haven't bothered updating blogrolls in a long time. At some point I'll probably just make a short list of "blogs that I know are really worth the time" and that's it.

As for coding things yourself... I always assumed the site was actually coded by you. Whoops. :P

Posted by: Ezzie | Feb 15, 2009 5:22:36 PM

David,

indeed I can!

so far the WTA tour are 'reviewing the situation of the Dubai Tennis Championships' - and she is to be given some form of compensation, probably in the form of points: all of which is - to me - pretty farcical.....

as far as I am aware no country has the right to refuse a player entry based on *their* country; I believe it's written in their charter or whatever....

I wonder what the UAE would do regarding a player who is Jewish but from another country?

there is supposed to be more indepth information tomorrow - we shall see.....

Posted by: claire | Feb 15, 2009 5:41:47 PM

Don't you use Typepad as your server? It's very easy to set up a blogroll on a Typepad blog using their TypeList feature. If you would like detailed instructions, let me know and I will email them to you.

Posted by: Crossing the Rubicon | Feb 15, 2009 6:56:01 PM

I feel your pain. The TTLB ecosystem died just as I started to gain real traction. As for Blogrolling.com I think that I am going to replace it with one of the Blogger services. Since those are Google based you can probably find one that works for you.

Posted by: Jack | Feb 15, 2009 9:38:50 PM

Setting up a WordPress blog on a server isn't expensive, and it isn't difficult, AND you get to do things the way YOU want. I ditched BlogSnot almost four years ago and I haven't looked back. You can do this. I find that I really like WordPress for its interface and the flexibility of the whole template/widget/plug-in system.

I sympathize with you on clearing out the blogroll. Some folks I just don't WANT to remove, even though I know they've passed away, and some were doing so wonderfully and then just pooted out. I wait a few months, then --snip--

And how many have shown up, new, bright, shiny, and I'm seeing great things in the first few posts and then... well, keeping a blog going is just too much effort in some busy lives.

But YOU don't stop...

MC

Posted by: mostly cajun | Feb 15, 2009 9:52:03 PM

I don't understand any of this stuff. But you do have alot of blogs on your roll. I don't have as many blogs, but if its been months since someone has posted, I usually delete. Except psychotoddler. I really miss him.

Posted by: Baila | Feb 15, 2009 10:05:47 PM

I don't understand any of this wordpress, blogspot, server stuff. You do have lots of blogs in your roll. I try to delete bloggers who haven't posted in months. Except for Psychotoddler. I miss him.

Posted by: Baila | Feb 15, 2009 10:10:46 PM

I've been using Bloglines (www.bloglines.com) as my RSS feed aggregator for years. Through Bloglines, I subscribe to blogs I read regularly, and I can display a list - or lists - of them in my sidebar as a blogroll. It's way better than blogrolling.com.

Posted by: Elisson | Feb 15, 2009 10:51:09 PM

Google Reader's RSS is (I've found) to be the best by far; it kicked both Sage and Bloglines.

Posted by: Ezzie | Feb 15, 2009 11:54:53 PM

Since I changed blogs I cope with it by not having links. Honestly, I just can't be bothered. Works for me!

Posted by: Lioness | Feb 16, 2009 11:10:12 AM

(Though, I must admit I always laugh when I see you linking to 'No Milk Please'. There's a blog I'm surprised appeals to the man who was so worried about the woman's legs ad on your site and what not!)

Posted by: Lioness | Feb 16, 2009 11:12:45 AM

I'm having the same frickin' problem. I don't want to start over with a new list. I have several lists on blogrolling.

...sigh...

Posted by: Tina-cious.com | Feb 16, 2009 3:48:34 PM

I thought I was on your blogroll but am not. Feel free to add if you so desire. : )

Posted by: What War Zone??? | Feb 16, 2009 5:27:14 PM

Ms. Tech-Challenged is in the same boat (says she to the ex-Navy guy :))--when I first got my current cell phone, I had so much trouble trying to figure out how to find my own phone number that I finally gave up and just added it to my Contacts list! Now I'm supposed to figure out how to switch blogroll "service providers?"

Posted by: Shira Salamone | Feb 17, 2009 4:49:56 AM

Posted by: Shira Salamone | Feb 17, 2009 4:51:03 AM

I was going to suggest hosting your own, but you've already nixed that one. I don't know muuch about TypePad. Does it have a feature where you can add and display links on your sidebar? Iff it does, you should be ablee to create an opml file at blogrolling.com and then import the links. Or just start all over and manually add links. And thanks for the gentle reminder. I really need to update my blog, and since I'm currently between jobs I have no excuse not to.

Posted by: amanda | Feb 18, 2009 3:55:17 AM

I was going to pimp WordPress, because that's what I use, and it really is dead simple to install, assuming you have your own server. I've been using Wp since 2005 as a self-hosted install and haven't regretted it. If anyone needs help with this tech stuff, I'll leave my contact info here. Email: amanda at customerservant.com, change the word at to the appropriate symbol. AIM: rushjew, Windows Live Messenger, customerservant at hotmail.com, same instructions as above with the email. If it would be easier to speak to me as opposed to doing everything via email and the like, you can add me on Skype. The username is ajrush1. I'll be glad to be of any assistance I can.

Posted by: amanda | Feb 18, 2009 4:04:07 AM