« Jenin Redux | Main | Sympathy Please »

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Kadima looks to Gilad Schallit for help

Silly me, I thought that as the ruling party throughout his captivity, it was Kadima that should have been looking to help Gilad Schallit.

Think I'm joking?  When faced with the reality of dropping polling numbers, Kadima's latest strategy session revealed this little bit of optimism about their chances in the upcoming election:

"It is not ethical to connect Gilad Schalit to politics, but [his coming home] could change the political situation."

Yeah right.  That's like the old joke that starts with a Jew turning to his neighbor in synagogue and saying "Nish Shabbos Gerecht but [Yiddish for 'not appropriate for shabbos' but], I heard you're selling your car... how much are you asking?"

The point being that for some people, there is no such thing as an inappropriate time or place, no matter how they may preface their remarks.

My guess is that we will likely see the prison doors thrown open once again sending countless terrorists home to a hero's welcome... all so Kadima can boost its showing at the polls.  Oh, and to bring Gilad Schallit home, of course.

As if to underscore how these vermin view the Israeli public, Kadima strategist Lior Chorev admitted that the party had been hurt by the country's shift to the right during the war.  But he followed up with the following reassurance to his party faithful:

"Within two weeks, people will forget that there was a war... We live in a country where no one even remembers that there was a terrorist attack as soon as funerals are over."

How about this for a Kadima campaign poster:

Kadima.  We do what we want, because the Israeli public has the collective memory of a goldfish!

Source for all quotes here

Posted by David Bogner on January 25, 2009 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Kadima looks to Gilad Schallit for help:

Comments

At least you'll soon have the chance to vote the scoundrels out. Back here in the U.S. we're being scolded by our newly hired nanny to get on-board with the new terrorist-coddling agenda. ({{Sigh}} It's gonna be a loooong four years.)

BTW, the lectures won't be ending at the shore. You good folks in Israel better grow a pair quick and learn give the finger to the new finger-wagging nanny in Washington or you'll all be huddling in a crater-pocked enclave around Tel Aviv begging the "world community" for permission to shoot back.

Posted by: Bob | Jan 25, 2009 6:34:49 AM

well, anyway... I liked the joke. ;o/

as for the rest... egad. Some of your pols make Rod Blagojevich look positively cautious in contrast.

Posted by: Wry Mouth | Jan 25, 2009 8:14:05 AM

One of the problems we're faced with is that too many commentors like "Bob" (and I'm not suggesting that Bob is Jewish, just using his views as an example) choose to remain in America. We need more like-minded Jews HERE to make their votes count next week (and in all future elections). Come home!

Posted by: Tehillah | Jan 25, 2009 10:16:26 AM

OY....... "Nish Shabbos Gerecht but [Yiddish for 'not appropriate for shabbos' but]must be a Connecticut usage.....in most places its "Nisht Im Shabbos Geredt" ( Not a Shabbos appropriate conversation)....

Posted by: shmiel | Jan 25, 2009 4:48:34 PM

"the collective memory of a goldfish!"

.....or less!!

LOL (though maybe I should be crying...)

Posted by: Rivka with a capital A | Jan 25, 2009 5:51:23 PM

I guess the only concern is, if Likud wins @ the elections, will they use Kadima to bolster it's coalition? If so, whats the point of the elections. Not that I live there, and not that it would ever happen, but shouldnt they trash this system and go with a more representative government or some form of local accountability? These party bosses just pick their favorites and wham bam, there's your government.

Speaking of which, hopefully Israel will elect someone with a spine because while I think this administration will be pro-Israel, it will be of the Clinton type that is pro, but you better do what we say if you get my meaning...wink wink. and Mitchell? Here we go again.

Posted by: Joshua K | Jan 25, 2009 7:24:09 PM

Tehilla--
As you surmise, due to the tragic accident of my being born to Gentile parents, I'm not Jewish. (But I am a huge fan of a rabbi who lived 2000 years ago.)

Posted by: Bob | Jan 26, 2009 1:27:34 AM