« Where is the peace? | Main | My life before moving to Israel. »

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Words from beyond the grave

St. Yitzchak Rabin continues to be revered for his prescient insights into the mindset of his enemies... both real and political.  And to date I have not heard one of his supporters come forward to say something like "Gee, maybe we were wrong about that."

I don't need to rub anyone's face in their mistakes.  After all, everyone makes them.  But the typical Israeli politician (of every stripe, BTW) has the memory - and conscience - of a goldfish!

Whenever I listen to the famous recording of Rabin calling the very notion of Israeli cities being shelled from Gaza nothing more than Likud scare-mongering, it makes my blood boil.  It makes me want to see his political heirs and sycophants chained to lamp posts in every Gaza-belt community that is within Kassam and Ketyusha range.  Certainly there are enough Meretz, Labor and Kadima MKs/supporters to go around.  If not, there area plenty of journalists and bloggers who could make up the short-fall.

Oh, and while they are shackled to the lamp posts and people rush by on their way to the shelters, they should be forced to beg forgiveness from every passer-by for their arrogance, and for not allowing for the possibility - however small - that what the Palestinians in Gaza really wanted was not to be left in peace... but rather to be left to wage war.

Click here to listen: Rabin Peace Coward Speech

[Translation courtesy of Mich"The horror stories of the Likud are familiar; indeed they promised us also Katyushas from Gaza. Already a year, the Gaza strip is mostly under the control of the Palestinian Authority, there has not yet been any Katyusha and there will be no Katyusha, et cetera et cetera et cetera. All the chattering; the Likud is deathly afraid of peace. The “peace cowards”, this is the Likud of today. This is not the Likud of Menachem Begin of blessed memory, who dared, and took initiatives, and was willing to pay a painful price to advance peace. The Likud of today is deathly afraid of peace, and therefore, it reacts in a way that is truly childish."]

Posted by David Bogner on December 24, 2008 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Words from beyond the grave:

Comments

Yeah, it can really get you down but don't forget, it is Hanukkah. The good guys win in the end!

Posted by: Jehoshaphat | Dec 24, 2008 10:41:45 PM

I'll be the first to say that I was wrong about the hitnakut. But I will say that I still think that things would have been different had Sharon still been around.

I am not willing to say that they would be worlds better, but compared to Olmert...

Posted by: Jack | Dec 24, 2008 11:57:18 PM

Some leaders seem to expect history to follow the trajectory of their personal lives. Both Rabin and Sharon were experienced soldiers who always wanted peace, and felt that more strongly as they got older.

Maybe they felt a responsibility to finish the job before their kids had to fight, or maybe they wanted a legacy. Or maybe they saw in others what they wanted to see, what they felt in themselves.

King Louie the 14th said "After me, the deluge". Some leaders just never see beyond their own life. Or maybe it's just that some people can't see that other people really are very different. That we're not all alike.

American leaders don't seem to have the lifecycle problem, though. Credit it to the 2-term limit for the President, I guess.

It may be useful to note that globally, most leaders do not plan for succession after they pass away. Especially dictators.

Posted by: Fred | Dec 25, 2008 1:05:09 AM

I can't seem to open the link.

Posted by: Rahel | Dec 26, 2008 12:42:19 AM

"And to date I have not heard one of his supporters come forward to say something like "Gee, maybe we were wrong about that.""

Yes, you have.

Posted by: Imshin | Dec 27, 2008 7:15:50 PM

Imshin... I stand corrected.

Posted by: David Bogner | Dec 27, 2008 8:20:27 PM

Quick try at translation. Feel free to refine as needed:

"The horror stories of the Likkud are familiar; indeed they promised us also Katyushas from Gaza. Already a year, the Gaza strip is mostly under the control of the Palestinian Authority, there has not yet been any Katyusha and there will be no Katyusha, et cetera et cetera et cetera. All the chattering; the Likkud is deathly afraid of peace. The “peace cowards”, this is the Likkud of today. This is not the Likkud of Menachem Begin of blessed memory, who dared, and took initiatives, and was willing to pay a painful price to advance peace. The Likkud of today is deathly afraid of peace, and therefore, it reacts in a way that is truly childish."

Posted by: Mich | Dec 28, 2008 1:41:22 AM

Cheap shot at Rabin, not called for ... not intellectually honest, either, how about his statements regarding right wing zealots, oh yes, that seemed to be justified.

Posted by: marc | Dec 28, 2008 6:23:55 PM