« Calling Dr. Bombay | Main | He Travels, I…. Count…. Down »

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Um, no... but thanks for playing!

There's a site called 'Gender Analyzer' where you can enter the URL of any website and it will analyze it (the website... not the URL!), to see if the author is a man or a woman (along with the degree of certainty they place on their results).

The funny thing is I am very friendly with someone who has actually written a very sophisticated algorithm for doing exactly that... so I'm curious to see whether he'll weigh in on the results this site gave when I plugged in the URL for Treppenwitz:
Myblogresults
Um, only 61% certainty that I'm a woman is ambiguous at most, right?  I mean you'd have to score over 80% into enemy territory to be considered all "ah 5, 6, 7, 8...".

Maybe it's like the 'Magic 8-Ball' ["Not clear... Try Again Later"] where your results are kinda random.  But damn... I've tried it like ten times and the results keep coming up the same!  Anyway, good thing I'm secure in my masculinity or these results would have really chipped away at my self esteem.

[hat tip:  Book of Joe]

Posted by David Bogner on November 15, 2008 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Um, no... but thanks for playing!:

Comments

There is nothing wrong with Zaharva writing for you, I believe she is a very capable and smart , Mom, Wife, and possibly business woman. There is nothing wrong if she fills in for you from time to time.

Posted by: Joan | Nov 15, 2008 9:35:11 PM

Maybe we should trade???

We think http://www.isramom.blogspot.com is written by a man (85%).

Posted by: Risa | Nov 15, 2008 10:45:13 PM

oy vey - they think my blog is only 51% written by a woman. i am definitely 100% percent woman, my writing is so not "gender neutral" - thanks for the giggle Trep. (i am sure you would look great in a skirt)

Posted by: Hadassah | Nov 16, 2008 12:39:58 AM

I'm all man: 86% male.

Posted by: Jacob da Jew | Nov 16, 2008 1:00:05 AM

Haha! It said my old blog was definitely written by a man (94% male), so don't feel too bad... I'm way over there in enemy territory! :D

Posted by: Chantal | Nov 16, 2008 1:35:08 AM

OMG, the analyzer said that my blog is written by a man-71%!
Don't worry, Trep, the thing obviously doesn't work very well.

Posted by: Raizy | Nov 16, 2008 2:42:42 AM

In spite of the fact that I sometimes talk about food, and my name is girly sounding, and my icon is a girl decke out in hotpads and shiny kitchen utensils, I have been mistaken for a man! It must be the lack of tweezing.

Posted by: Jewel | Nov 16, 2008 3:38:56 AM

Mine says 64% written by a man. I'll take that as a compliment in my ability to disguise myself cleverly.

Posted by: Irina | Nov 16, 2008 4:38:20 AM

I'd take it with a serious pinch of salt. My blog is filled with cooking, crafts, hobbies etc, and it still reckons it was written by a man!

Load of old Poppycock if you ask me!

Posted by: noa@swissmail.org | Nov 16, 2008 7:20:51 AM

If it makes you feel any better, here are the results of my site:
We have strong indicators that http://almosteden.co.il is written by a man (94%).

Last time I checked, I was still a woman :-)

Posted by: Tehillah | Nov 16, 2008 7:31:31 AM

I'm female, but only 64%...
drsavta, on the other hand, is 80% MALE.
I'm just not that impressed.

Posted by: triLcat | Nov 16, 2008 8:37:55 AM

It doesn't "know" anything.

Posted by: RachelW | Nov 16, 2008 8:41:05 AM

www.balabustabluejeans.blogspot.com is apparently 63% male.

Perhaps this means I am 63% Balabos?

I dunno. Are they basing this on subject matter, or sentence length, or what? Did I confuse the poor machine by talking politics in between descriptions of getting glass out of my garbage disposal?

Posted by: balabusta in bluejeans | Nov 16, 2008 11:14:03 AM

77% male. Woohoo.

Posted by: Jack | Nov 16, 2008 8:18:43 PM

Ah, David, that's what happens when you give a boy a man's job. (Picture me puffing smoke rings with a knowing insouciant air.) The truth is if you do this game right, you should get 75-80% accuracy. These guys definitely cut more than a few corners.

For anyone who cares, a pretty accessible paper describing the research on which this and similar such sites (e.g. Gender Genie) are based is http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue12_9/argamon/index.html

Posted by: Moish | Nov 16, 2008 11:29:23 PM

Ahem: my results are 95% male, thank you very much.
I have a feeling, though, that they are analyzing for grammar and spelling (or non-standard words), and assuming that if it's written carefully, it must be written by a woman.

Posted by: Barzilai | Nov 17, 2008 1:39:45 AM

I'm a man also. Maybe my salary will go up.

Posted by: Baila | Nov 17, 2008 11:03:41 PM

I think there are some flaws: "We have strong indicators that http://www.alluregraphics.com is written by a woman (100%)."

I am the only MALE in the household - maybe that affected the results

Posted by: Aharon | Nov 18, 2008 4:16:38 PM