« Trep's Travel Tips (part I) | Main | Home »

Thursday, November 20, 2008

All a matter of context

[I saw the following over at one of my regular reads and promptly sprayed a mouthful of really exceptional coffee all over my computer keyboard]

He’d been playing outside with the other kids for a while when he came into the house and asked her, ‘Grandma, what’s that thing called when two people sleep, like, in the same bed and one is on top of the other?’

She was a little taken aback, but she decided to just tell him the truth. ‘It’s called sexual intercourse, Darling.’

Little Tony just said, ‘Oh, OK,’ and went back outside to play with the other kids.

A few minutes later he came back in and said angrily, ‘Grandma, it isn’t called sexual intercourse. It’s called Bunk Beds. And Jimmy’s mom wants to talk to you.’

Posted by David Bogner on November 20, 2008 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference All a matter of context:

Comments

Oh yeah.... that's a good one!

Posted by: val | Nov 20, 2008 1:50:29 PM

thanks for the laugh (and how would you have answered that question Trep?)

Posted by: Hadassah | Nov 20, 2008 3:30:52 PM

Our kids always called them "bonk beds" -- now it all makes sense.

Posted by: Bob | Nov 20, 2008 4:29:08 PM

I'm just thankful I put down the coffee at your cue.

Thank you!

Posted by: Jethro | Nov 20, 2008 6:06:54 PM

OMG!! What a scream! You never know with kids! I read an article for mothers of special kids by a sexuality educator. One day her teen ("special")came uop and asked her' "Mom, what's sex?" The educator, as any parent, gagged, and thankfully before she answered, the teen pointed to the sock on her shoulder, and repeated the question. So we all dread it... and I quess we have to be carefull when and where we handle it....

Posted by: rickismom | Nov 20, 2008 7:37:56 PM

Grandmas say the darndest things.

Posted by: QuietusLeo | Nov 20, 2008 9:45:59 PM

At least this little one asked grandma privately. At a large family dinner one of the little ones looked around at all the babies and toddlers and announced in a loud voice "Where do babies come from?" There was total silence until one of my sisters in law told him "Well, Sruli comes from Flatbush, and Dina comes from New Jersey, etc. etc. until she had placed each child in their hometown area. He bought it and the rest of us could finish eating without choking.

Posted by: ProfK | Nov 21, 2008 1:23:43 AM

Ah, yes - the old ones are the best ones.

Posted by: psachya | Nov 21, 2008 10:53:35 AM