« Just another reason to dump those day school tuitions and make aliyah! | Main | Israel as 'Giving Tree' »

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Offending the offensive

According to a report I read this morning, Saudi Arabia is calling for a boycott of the Nissan Motor Company over a recently aired Israeli TV commercial for a 'new 'green' (meaning energy –efficient… not green colored) Nissan car.

Here you can see it for yourself:

Apparently they consider the depiction of traditionally garbed Saudi Sheiks pounding their fists on the offending car and shouting "Hawks should peck at you day and night", to be overtly racist.

During the press conference, the traditionally garbed Saudi spokesman Hani al-Wafa told MBC TV, a Saudi-run station headquartered in Dubai, United Arab Emirates that, "We need to apply punishments [ed note: It's not clear if he means boycotting or beheading here]... against these things.
In order for Nissan to keep its interests in the region, it must apologize."

He went on to add that, " Hawks should peck day and night at anyone who buys or rides in one of these new energy efficient cars".

OK, I made that last part up… but you have to admit it's pretty damned funny listening to the people who lead the world in cultural insensitivity and abusive rhetoric complaining about insults to their 'culture'.

We can't possibly invent a cheap alternative to oil soon enough to suit me… primarily so we can all enjoy watching these corrupt goat-shaggers reverting to what they do best. [hmmm, did I say that out loud?]

Posted by David Bogner on August 7, 2008 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Offending the offensive:

Comments

We must apologise for using the adjective "green" to describe a car. Cars did not exist in the time of Mohammed and green is a holy Muslim colour. saying a car is green is insulting to the Koran. We must consult with a team of Islamic scholars to find a more suitable term. Erecting a minaret on the dome of the White House and painting it green would be a suitable atonement for this insult to Islam. After watching the infidel video on your site, I must now immerse myself in the Hudson River and fast for eighty days. See what trouble you have caused me? Oh the infidels!!!! May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits.
Magdeburger Joe of magdeburgerjoe.com and rudistettner.com

Posted by: Magdeburger Joe | Aug 7, 2008 4:16:59 PM

fyi - the video is no longer available

Posted by: mata hari | Aug 7, 2008 5:08:45 PM

Ever notice how the biggest bullies cry the loudest when they get picked on?

Posted by: psachya | Aug 7, 2008 6:17:34 PM

They deserve everything they have coming to them.

Posted by: Jack | Aug 7, 2008 6:30:42 PM

Shortly after this commercial aired for the first time there was a news piece on Arutz10 that the company that produced this ad had arab consultance on the set to take out anything that might be offensive.
But anyway - the call for boycott from some Sheiks is great publicity for free. And (hopefully) it is only a matter of time until oil rich countries will call for boycott of the car industry that finally began to roll out alternatives to pure fuel-driven engines.
BTW: In the coming years you will see more and more hybrid cars and electric prototypes on Israel's roads. There is a lot going on.
I just hope that the carbon dioxide hysteria will not make it to Israel, it is too stupid.

Posted by: david | Aug 7, 2008 8:35:21 PM

I laughed. The fact that some arab sheiks were offended made me laugh even harder. And I don't even know any arab sheiks personally.

Posted by: David Bailey | Aug 7, 2008 9:36:14 PM

And I don't even know any arab sheiks personally.
- - - - - - - - -
... no, no - you're supposed to say "some of my best friends are Arab sheiks."

Posted by: Ben-David | Aug 7, 2008 10:58:40 PM

Following Zahava's previous post, I need to make sure that I include in my Brachot HaShachar - Shelo Asni 'Corrupt Goat Shagger'.

Posted by: Skaj | Aug 7, 2008 11:04:04 PM

May the towelheads drown in their own oil.

Posted by: QuietusLeo | Aug 7, 2008 11:22:18 PM

They can dish it out, but they can't take it.

Posted by: Rahel | Aug 7, 2008 11:23:51 PM

Er. David, how would you feel about a no-interest Saudi bank running a commercial based on stereotypical Jewish moneylenders in Chassidic dress trying to curse and break down its adverts, rip up its cheque books etc etc? And then find the makers responding to our outrage with cries of "Where's your sense of humour?"

As for your references to practices with goats, where's your evidence? Or is this something you think is safe to say about Arabs in general? Or just those from Saudi Arabia? Are you happy to explain to your children why you've chosen gratuitously to add this particular epithet to your post? I think it lets you down and diminshes you and the impact of what you have to say.

Posted by: Judy | Aug 7, 2008 11:56:16 PM

They could have gotten much better press by being cool and laughing it off. That is what you do in a cool medium like TV. But they are constitutionally incapable of it. One day they will get theirs. The insane flood of money to the Arabian Peninsula is obscene. My bumper sticker suggestion: left side photo: Muslims on the Haj clustered around the rock at Mecca; right side: mushroom cloud; center: NUKE MECCA NOW!

Posted by: Yehoshua Friedman | Aug 8, 2008 12:41:44 AM

The cynicism and hypocrisy of the oil producing oligarchies is fair target for criticism, as is their support for terrorism and their silence in the face of and even encouragement of anti Semitism. Your racist remarks, and those of your commentors, is reprehensible. We all understand and even share your frustration, but you cheapen the discussion with your snide negativity.

Posted by: jordan Hirsch | Aug 8, 2008 1:24:53 AM

Goat-shaggers, uh, David did you really say that at loud?

I have to agree with Judy and Jordan on this one, but that last line is a classic. Sorry guys, that is just too funny.

Posted by: jaime | Aug 8, 2008 6:23:11 AM

Magdeburger Jo... Cute

mata hari ... Seems to be working just fine to me.

psachya ... Yup. But did you ever notice that there will always be some overly sensitive people wo will take the bully's side and try to explain to you that you have to be better than him? Weird huh?

Jack... No, they deserve much more than that. In fact, my imagination is incapable of rendering an appropriate punishment for these animals.

david... Just fyi, I went back and read the article more closely and it is an entirely electric car featured in the ad. Even better.

David Bailey... They are laughable, aren't thy?

Ben-David... One would think that the Saudis are one society that would be incapable of attracting knee-jerk liberal defenders, and yet...

Skaj... Funny.

QuietusLeo... Haven't you heard? It is offensive to use the term 'towel head' since it is n fact a small folded sheet they wear. Therefore you should be calling them 'sheet heads'. Clear?

Rahel... You can't argue with success. They have taken over Europe on precisely that policy.

Judy ... I know you and have even hosted you in my home so I will go easy on you. There are some countries/cultures that are so corrupt, depraved and broken that they are entirely undeserving of sensitivity or defense. The Saudis are such a country/culture. They openly import white slaves (women) for the entertainment of the wealthy and keep their people in a medieval state of virtual surfdom. They not only use the most pejorative language to describe 'us', but if you were to find yourselves in their country you could be arrested for simply driving a car or openly practicing your religion. Please save your sensitivity for a more deserving culture than theirs. Even as we speak they are funding terrorists around the world and fueling the Islamist Jihad that is aimed at taking over the entire world. You own country is bending over backwards to show how welcoming you are to this culture of dominance and is being driven in to submission even as we speak. There are many in your country who honestly think Shariah law must be adopted so as to make the UK an easier place for Muslims to live. It won't be long now before you (and the Queen) are down on Saville Row getting fitted for your Chadors.

Yehoshua Friedman... Isalm blasts Buddhas off of cliffs, executes homosexuals and calls us Monkeys and Pigs... yet the world spends its time screaming that Schita (Jewish ritual slaughter of meat) is cruel.

jordan Hirsch... Read my response to Judy. I consider you a close friend and will treat you equally gently. That being said, you are dead wrong. They (and those like them) thrive in our PC environment whre 'racist remarks are taboo. But we're not talking about a few individuals. We're talking about an entire country... heck, and entire culture that is sick and deliberately dysfunctional. They deserve to hear the way they act towards every other culture. They deserve to be scorned and subjected to the worst and coarsest sort of ridicule. They deserve far worse.

jaime... Even tough you are wrong, I appreciate that at least you had a sense of humor about it.

Posted by: treppenwitz | Aug 8, 2008 9:08:13 AM

Hi David,

Always happy to read about the prosperity of your family.

And those Goat comments are tough to avoid, but ultimately, no matter how satisfying, they still constitute Loshen Hoira.

I have ahard time resisting, but, like you, I do resist them most of the time.

A blessing upon you and your home.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

Posted by: Maksim-Smelchak | Aug 8, 2008 4:15:54 PM

ah gee David, you hosted us too. No kid gloves here?

It's a difficult line to walk on. The commercial wasn't offensive to me, nor the commentary and although I loved the expression you used, that just seemed more like a private thought.

So you are right, I think those that were offended by the commercial itself or supports the viewpoint that they should be upset is being a little too sensitive and pc.

Now I think what would have been even better would be if it showed the Saudis and the Bushes (as well as other republican oil industry advocates)getting pissed and shouting insults. That would be much more accurate!!!

Posted by: jaime | Aug 8, 2008 6:32:32 PM

I do not need to be treated gently. Racist remarks are wrong, period. The fact that the targets of your scorn deserve your opprobrium makes it all the more important to hammer home the real issues involved, like those you mentioned in your response to Judy. Racist remarks, and the kind of snide, self assured attitude which you and many of the commentors adopt here not only subverts any good to be gained by making your moral argument, but racism in general erodes the soul of the individual who engages in it or even the one who witnesses it.
It is not a case of PC excess to call someone on labeling Arabs as goat shaggers, or towel heads, or any of the other creative names for those we feel to be our enemies. You are wrong, and it insults the intelligence of all reasonable people for you to argue the point on the moral failings of the Saudis. Keep in mind, I agree with every single criticism you leveled at them in your previous response. Make that argument, and you might change a few minds.

Posted by: jordan Hirsch | Aug 8, 2008 7:16:19 PM

I think Jordan's said most of what I feel. In your response to me, you didn't answer the questions I posed, other than to appear to state that almost any insult can and should be used against a country like Saudi Arabia. This argument and the way you put it over comes across as bluster, and I can't see it doing anything to persuade anyone that the gratuitous (and unevidenced) sexual insults you posted are justified. It's also hardly to your credit that you seem to want to justify your resorting to gross language and insults because that's what "they" do! Shades of the infant school playground-- aren't you a little too old for that?

As for what you have to say about England being on its way to Sharia law, you've been reading far too many sensationalist articles/blogging posts by people too exercised by their scary imaginations to look at the facts...Israel is much more likely to move to Sharia law--or fall to Islamist subversion-- than England, and that's not a prospect I see happening any time soon or not so soon.

I also thought the remarks about "white slave" women being brought to Saudia Arabia for the sexual pleasure of men there suggest you might be just a little bit innocent about exactly the same thing happening to the Eastern European women who get trafficked to the UK and Israel for exactly the same reason--just a different customer base.

Posted by: Judy | Aug 10, 2008 5:41:23 PM

Would it have been offensive if Texas oilmen--are there any anymore?--in ten-gallon hats were hitting the car? I thought the connection--guys in white robes=oil export nations, was fairly clear. I like the bit about the hawks. Is that a real expression in Arabic, or just made up for the occasion?

Goat-shagging comments are simply not cool, however.

And without defending a single thing about Saudi Arabia, I will say that I'm sick to death of references to 'white slavery' meant to squick out the Western female and make her all indignant. The Saudis also import a ton of labor for less titillating use, and treat them like dirt, and a 'massage parlor' mysteriously stocked with girls who spoke only Mandarin and never seemed to pop out for lunch down the street just beat it out of my parents' neighborhood in California after the locals called the cops one too many times. I'm sorry if I seem overly adamant with this, and I think the Saudis are scum generally, but this is something that annoys me.

Posted by: balabusta in blue jeans | Aug 10, 2008 10:53:17 PM

Ugly ad, ugly post, uglier comments.

But ugliest of all was the attempt to justify the above. Judy, Jordan and the others are spot on.

Trep, this thread has made me lose a lot of respect for you. I am sure I am not the only one.

Posted by: Yellow Boy | Aug 10, 2008 11:40:44 PM

and I thought that David was spot-on as per usual

Posted by: asher | Aug 11, 2008 2:35:26 PM

Yes asher, David's critique was spot on. Not his offensive language. And he knows full well, I am no prude. :)

Posted by: jordan Hirsch | Aug 12, 2008 6:57:06 PM