« It’s raining bloggers! | Main | A friend from down the hall »

Monday, August 18, 2008

A total fanboy moment

Sitting in the King David Lounge at JFK waiting for word to go down to the Nefesh B'Nefesh flight (the campers went down a few minutes ago) and I look over to my right and spot Barbara Sofer (a wonderful and prolific writer who, among other accomplishments, is a columnist for the Jerusalem Post).

I see she's also wearing a VIP badge and will be on the flight with us.  I go over and barely restrain myself from gushing ('I'm a huge fan'... 'love your writing'... etc.).

I'm a shameless fanboy when it comes to good writers.

Posted by David Bogner on August 18, 2008 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference A total fanboy moment:

Comments

I met Barbara Sofer a few years back at a Hadassah Convention...she was SO inspiring! Her presence coincided with the Jewish expulsion in Gaza so she, aptly, wore a bright orange dress.

Posted by: Erica | Aug 18, 2008 9:32:54 PM

I used to chat with Barbara Sofer in the pool locker room, but that was before I started reading her column.... Now I'm a big fan also, but I switched pools, so I never meet her anymore....

Btw, you realize that you will have your fair share of "gushers" at the convention.

How cool is that?

Posted by: Rivka with a capital A | Aug 18, 2008 11:16:12 PM

What did she answer?
- Treppenwitz? I'm a huge fan... love your writing.

Posted by: Ilana-Davita | Aug 18, 2008 11:40:14 PM

That's just how I would feel if I ever met you!

Posted by: Albert | Aug 19, 2008 2:39:02 AM

Besides the fact that it would be a great name for a punk band, "Shameless Fanboy" does bring interesting images to mind. Somewhere between Brigid Bazlen and the Chippendale's boys. Ahem. Which I have only heard about, but have never actually witnessed in life.

Posted by: rutimizrachi | Aug 19, 2008 12:15:32 PM

Her daughter Hanni is in my class at nursing school. Bryan was also fan-struck when we went there for shabbat, but more because of her husand - Gerald Schroeder

Posted by: Noa | Aug 19, 2008 7:32:30 PM

Albert - That's how I felt when I met David. I also had the honour of watching him at his workstation, at home, surrounded by his family - splendid! ... back to Barbara Sofer. :-)

....waiting eagerly for the next post.

Posted by: Rami | Aug 19, 2008 10:50:16 PM

Ain't a thing wrong with being a fanboy, especially for intellectual Jewlebrities. Unless you're female, in which case I'd insist on "fangirl."

Posted by: Esther | Aug 20, 2008 1:41:39 AM

I love Barbara. And she makes the best Shabbat dinners. :)

Posted by: Gila | Aug 21, 2008 6:33:00 AM