« Words of wisdom from a 'man' of experience | Main | … you know it when you see it »

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Tour de Efrat

Last night I went for a ride around Efrat on the shiny new Trek mountain bike I bought last year.  It was the first time I'd touched the bike since last fall.

Once upon a time I wouldn't have even considered a little 40 minute spin a 'ride'.  I certainly wouldn't have bothered filling a water bottle for such a quick outing.

40 minutes on the bike is what you do if you are trying to adjust your seat or tweak your derailleur just so.  40 minutes on the bike is just enough time to warm up while checking the tension on the brake cables or getting the feel of a new trip computer.

But a 'ride'?  40 minutes?  No way!

I got home from my little 40 minute spin around our (very) hilly town drenched with sweat, wheezing like an asthmatic, with every muscle of my body screaming for a return to the simple 'burn' they'd experienced during the first 3 minutes out.

I'm thinking I should have started a little slower.  By 'slower' I mean maybe I should have walked the bike up to the park and spent the 40 minutes sitting on a comfortable bench looking vaguely athletic.

Can someone please help me get out of bed?

Posted by David Bogner on July 9, 2008 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Tour de Efrat:

Comments

Is that age I hear creeping up on you?

Posted by: Raizy | Jul 9, 2008 4:12:57 PM

David, David, David... it's tough starting any exercise program.
But hey, just think. Keep doing it and your body will get used to it and it won't kill you.

Feel better. And get back out there... (consider yourself slapped on the back!)

Posted by: val | Jul 9, 2008 4:32:41 PM

Val is right. (Raizy is wrong.) It's not age. You and I are just out of shape. Do it again tomorrow! Take some ibuprofen. Go Trep go!

Posted by: Albert | Jul 9, 2008 4:36:11 PM

it can only get better

(by the way- those reports of a meteor last night- could it have been your headlight ?)

Posted by: britac | Jul 9, 2008 4:58:01 PM

I am in my early thirties and excellent shape. I been cycling like crazy everday for more than a year. And I must tell you that in this heat right now in Israel I feel like a smartut after 40 mins. I hope this offers you some comfort.
Wait until after the heat wave. Its not healthy now to exercise too much. Or go swimming instead.

Posted by: david | Jul 9, 2008 6:28:39 PM

how about a nice game of chess? ;o/

Posted by: Wry Mouth | Jul 9, 2008 8:05:22 PM

I swim. This way I don't feel the sweat.

Posted by: Baila | Jul 9, 2008 10:24:30 PM

Entirely aside from your sweatiness, this adds a new shade of meaning to the term 'klal efrat'.

Sorry, bad word play. A jumping mind is a terrible thing.

Posted by: The Back of the Hill | Jul 9, 2008 10:53:44 PM

David, you do realize that even many adults who exercise regularly would most likely never get on a real bike and actually ride it?? If you stick with it, this experience will be nothing more than an unpleasant memory. Keep it up!!

Posted by: tnspr569 | Jul 9, 2008 11:34:54 PM

Good for you for getting on your bike and riding. No way could I do that unless it's absolutely flat. We went hiking this afernoon in Ein Gedi, and I was about to die with the heat and the stairs.

Btw, heatwave in Israel - seriously? When is not hot in Israel in the summertime, but actually I have to say, the weather has been quite beautiful. Yesterday seemed to be only day that it was miserably hot - but I expected it given we were along the coast.

Posted by: jaime | Jul 9, 2008 11:36:05 PM

I bet you are missing that gorgeous Bianchi now!

Posted by: Alan T. | Jul 10, 2008 5:19:41 AM

And I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll coast down that hill... ;)

Posted by: Jack | Jul 11, 2008 12:38:02 AM