« Warning: Politics Ahead | Main | Photo Friday (Vol. XLII) [Sukkot edition] »

Thursday, October 20, 2005

A foggy day...

... the Israel Museum certainly hadn't lost it's charm! *

Yesterday we had big plans to take the kids to some outdoors activities for the first day of Chol HaMoed (the intermediate days of the Sukkot Holiday), but the weather didn't want to cooperate.  Rain and low clouds nixed the idea of doing anything outside, so we called up some friends and made alternate plans to take our kids to the Israel Museum in Jerusalem.

Just a few observations:

I was brought up on museums as a kid, and I never get tired of them.  But I now realize that I had always been looking at other people's history!  What a revelation to wander through a world-class museum and listen to my kids 'ooh' and 'aah' over artifacts from their own history!!!  Not only were there archaeological displays from nearly every period of history in this part of the world, but there were beautiful displays of costume, jewelry, religious items and tools from every conceivable age and location in the Jewish diaspora.

In the US, a trip to a museum with the kids always meant packing lunches and snacks for everyone and schlepping it from place to place.  Not only did the Israel Museum have countless kosher cafes and restaurants (with delicious food), but each and every one of them had an adjoining sukkah so that those who were so inclined could eat  there.  This, along with the displays of our own heritage, gave me an unbelievable feeling of inclusion/belonging.

There were indoor and outdoor displays and exhibits for every taste/interest, and there was even a children's wing with performers and workshops where the kids could make projects.  We only covered a tiny fraction of the museum on this trip so we will definitely be coming back soon.

*  A play on the words to the old standard, "A foggy day (in London Town)"

221_16_35

Posted by David Bogner on October 20, 2005 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference A foggy day...:

Comments

Well, you're much more cultured than us. We did a movie at Malcha - and from what we saw, half of Efrat was there as well...

Posted by: Dave | Oct 20, 2005 11:20:54 AM

What is up mit da fog posts? Both two of us, within a day of each other? S'iz azoy serendipity!

Posted by: Elisson | Oct 20, 2005 12:13:08 PM

Hi David,
i've visited the Israel Museum during my trip to Jerusalem this summer for the second time, and in my opinion, it's one the best museums i've been to. But there's so many things to see, that indeed you have to return several times to get all of it, if i remember right, you even get a discount if you return within 30 days.

Posted by: Jany | Oct 20, 2005 12:31:57 PM

The place sounds great - - I will add to the list of places we want to see when visiting there in the spring.

Posted by: val | Oct 20, 2005 1:58:00 PM

You really like to rub it in to us US redisdents, don't you? This succah, was it canvas? Did it meet the halachic requirements according to all or most halachic authorities? Curious...

Posted by: Jewish Blogmeister | Oct 20, 2005 2:14:13 PM

Yeah, thanks for rubbing it in that when we take Chol Hamoed trips here in the States, the men can only eat shehakol food because there ain't no sukkahs around! :)
The Israel Museum is so nice; I've always enjoyed visiting on my trips to Israel. Good choice since the weather didn't want to cooperate with your plans. Chag Sameach!

Posted by: Essie | Oct 20, 2005 3:18:29 PM

The Israel Museum is one of the best memories I have from Israel. It is fabulous and I can't wait to go back someday.

A beautiful book of its exhibits is gracing my coffee table as I type this.

Glad you had such a good time.

Posted by: Stacey | Oct 20, 2005 9:20:15 PM

Hey, I was in the Gush for the first day of Chol Hamoed as well (I got a psak to keep only one day from a Rabbi who's convinced that I'll make the Aliyah dreams a reality) and was astounded at the amount of rain. The Rabbi whos home I was visiting bemoaned the rain because of a Mishna that states that when it rains on Succot it is as though a master throws a cup of water in the face of the servant who comes to serve him (- cliffnotes version).
Anyway, I just wanted to further rub it in the face of the chutznikim. That was almost as much fun as saying "Good Yom Tov" to the Americans keeping two days of chag as you drive by in your car. I am totally a bat Eretz Yisrael - sabbaba.

Oh, this reminds me...I will God willing be in Efrat on Simchat Torah. We should definately touch base - I will bli neder give you a ring erev chag.

Posted by: tmeishar | Oct 20, 2005 10:38:19 PM

I'm not even Jewish but you put your finger right on a lonely place in my heart. You so perfectly illustrate what makes my Christian heart long for israel. It's not those churches that aren't really on the spot they claim to be and were built by Crusaders anyway who's doctrine was a mess. It's to be in a land where so many love God and have a deep histroy walking in his ways.

I love the Torah and the Prophets. They are part of my blood and sinew. Everything I want to be I learned of through the Jews. Their land is the greatest land in all the earth.

Next year in the Holy Land!

Posted by: Scott | Oct 21, 2005 2:54:35 AM